Moving to a Macbook

Caporegime
I did query if i'd be bothered by the lack of multi monitor support. But does that mean you have two displays including the macbook screen , or is the attached screen just a mirror ? My work machine just extends desktop so effectively get 3 screens total.

I don't plan on using it for gaming, which is partly what i intended the XPS to be used for, but it just gets too hot and i revert to the desktop... So this is all about portability and actually getting things done on the go.

I can borrow a 13 M1 Air i think it is, and I'll probably take advantage of the apple no questions return policy, to try out a 14 pro.

Yes, 2 screens including the macbook display. I mean you can only plug in 1 external display to one of the usbc-ports. plugging a second one in will show either nothing or just a clone/mirror of the 1st external screen (I honestly can't recall which).

i only have the 8gb RAM on my MBA M2, can run mail, safari with LOTS of tabs, discord and Apple Music etc..and it runs perfectly fine.

granted its in the orange for compression or whatever..but still is very efficient for only 8gb RAM.

You sort of made my point for me, if it's compressing/swapping a lot then it's not working at optimal speed, even if you don't notice. 16Gb would help in that respect Personally, I use a lot of non Apple apps, so I found 8GB is not enough (Chrome instead of Safari as the main example, I would say around 20 tabs was the limit for me before I noticed minor slowdown). I wouldn't, in good conscience, recommend on anyone buying 8GB of non upgradeable memory for a machine in 2023 if you want it to last for 5 more years.

rp2000

Man of Honour
You sort of made my point for me, if it's compressing/swapping a lot then it's not working at optimal speed, even if you don't notice. 16Gb would help in that respect Personally, I use a lot of non Apple apps, so I found 8GB is not enough (Chrome instead of Safari as the main example, I would say around 20 tabs was the limit for me before I noticed minor slowdown). I wouldn't, in good conscience, recommend on anyone buying 8GB of non upgradeable memory for a machine in 2023 if you want it to last for 5 more years.
I mean Chrome is not exactly known for being kind on resources. :cry:

Man of Honour
Maybe. I imagine people using Safari on an 8GB macbook will also be regretting things in 5 years though. :p

rp2000
My mum has my old M1 Air base spec. I use it when she comes round and it’s perfectly fine for general duties. Chrome is exceptionally poor at being light on resources and it hammers the battery as a result.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
haha. Relieved kinda in a way! :cry:

£1600 for the 16” 1TB silver.

Associate
I would not sleep on refurb M1 or M2 machines. The Apple Silicon introduced with M1 was so good, that the M2 and M3 won't feel noticeably faster for most use cases, and prices have fallen off a cliff because Apple has upgraded the chips so quickly; I think M2 only came out about 9 months ago! I own an M1 Pro 14" MBP and use an M1 Max 16" MBP and M2 Studio Ultra desktop at work. The 14" MBP is my recommendation.

Back
Top Bottom