Moving to C2D, need advice!!

Associate
Planning to move from AMD to Intel and have really no idea (last intel cpu was a pentium2!!) Need new cpu,mem & mb (just replaced case and stuck a corsair HX520 in so power should be ok)

Have this little lot in mind but would really like some advice:

Intel E6600
2gb Corsair XMS2 6400C5
Gigabyte P35C DS3R

Any suggestions on the ram and mb, O/C'ing ability is essential (coming from a A64 3700+ running at 3.1ghz

Associate
don't know about the corsair memory myself, never used it, but the mobo and cpu should be easily capable of hitting 3.5ghz with the right memory, even with a stock cooler, but a freezer pro 7 or better would be advisable. Have a look at the Geil 6400, its cheap as chips and I've built 3 core 2 pcs with it and had no problems, mine oced 6300 to 3ghz easy (hits about 55c max load)and my mate's 6600 went to 3.4 (limited by his poor choice of mobo) and has stupidly low temps (both on a freezer pro 7)

Associate
OP
Cheers guys :)

I've got a watercooled setup so that should take care of the chip (I've noticed the duo's run a lot cooler than my A64 anyway)

Didn't really look at the Ballistix as I had a bad experience with some PC4000 DDR1 that kept dieing, are there similar problems with their DDR2 modules (although their RMA process is great, it's still really inconvenient having no ram for a couple of weeks!!)

Back
Top Bottom