Moving to the US, a few questions...

Soldato
I'm really fed up at my current employer and have always dreamed of working in the US, so figure now may be the time to make it happen. I have a couple of contacts over there who may be able to help (although nothing is certain), and had a few questions that I wondered whether you fine chaps could help with.

In my current role I'm performing work under contract with a company I'd consider moving to. Is it a massive faux pas to email them asking about work *while* I'm still completing work for them? I don't want to offend anyone, but realistically this is my best way in.

I have a house, and I'd probably need to sell it. Ill try renting but this comes with a host of issues such as whether my mortgage provider will allow it etc. How long should I plan to get everything together to make a move such as this? I'm currently thinking about 6 months, is this too optimistic?

Any other advice from those who have done something similar?

Thanks a lot for any help. Happy to elaborate on the situation further if needed.

Soldato
OP
Thanks a lot for the comments all.

I should have been clearer that it's a client of my employer that I'm currently performing work for. I'm in research/academia, and as far as I'm aware we do not have any non-compete clauses but I'll look into it.

One of the contacts has said that if I ever wanted a job there to let him know and he'll get hold of me if he finds something. My opinion at the moment is to restart this conversation and start getting a CV up-to-date etc.

My fear is that as soon as I get the wheels turning, there's no going back. If i start asking these questions and it becomes clear to my current colleagues that I'll be leaving, it may be damaging for the future if it turns out I have to stick around for a few more years.

Back
Top Bottom