Mp5works BPC plumbing

Associate
OP
I’ve installed the Aqua computer water block and it performs worse than the EK even with its active back plate.

was a nightmare to install and produces louder coil whine than my Strix did.

Results are under same conditions

GPU temp - 46c
Memory temp - 78C!!
Flow - 4.89 (an improvement there)

not going to bother trying it with the MP5works. No point. The flow will be the same, but the temps most likely won’t be better than the EK.

im going back to the EK water block and applying the revised thermal pad placement and will test without VRM pads to see how that works as without thermal pads on the back of the VRMs there’s no coil whine.

one thing to note though. I have the first revision parallel MP5 works that has no fins. You most likely have the revised version, so apart from the serial version bleeding faster there may not be a difference in temps.

it does look good though

ASmZCZq.jpg

Ddgtzv5.jpg

Wow that's really surprising from Aquacomputer. A touch disappointing but at least you've got the EK!

I just powered up my first custom loop and tested with and without the BPC. I first ran Port Royal stress test for about ten minutes then went straight to OCCT for ten minutes. The results surprised me a bit, with a fairly decent memory junction temp drop from the BPC in Port Royal, a massive drop in OCCT for memory temp, but basically no drop for GPU core temp. Oddly with the BPC in OCCT there seemed to be more heat generated. Maybe just a warmer room by then or something.

I wouldn't rule out user error on my part along the way, but here's what I saw

Port Royal
No BPC
GPU 46-47, Memory Junction 70
Fans 1,400 rpm , water temp 33c

BPC
GPU 46, Memory Junction 64
Fans 1,400rpm, water temp 33c

OCCT
No BPC
GPU 48, Memory Junction 68
Fans 1,400 rpm, water temp 33c

BPC
GPU 48-49, Memory Junction 58
Fans 1,450 rpm, water temp 34c

Block is a Corsair XG7 3090 FE.

Edit: 400W draw, +140 core, +750 memory

Anyway, thanks to all on this thread for your help on this :)

Last edited:
Associate
Wow that's really surprising from Aquacomputer. A touch disappointing but at least you've got the EK!

I just powered up my first custom loop and tested with and without the BPC. I first ran Port Royal stress test for about ten minutes then went straight to OCCT for ten minutes. The results surprised me a bit, with a fairly decent memory junction temp drop from the BPC in Port Royal, a massive drop in OCCT for memory temp, but basically no drop for GPU core temp. Oddly with the BPC in OCCT there seemed to be more heat generated. Maybe just a warmer room by then or something.

I wouldn't rule out user error on my part along the way, but here's what I saw

Port Royal
No BPC
GPU 46-47, Memory Junction 70
Fans 1,400 rpm , water temp 33c

BPC
GPU 46, Memory Junction 64
Fans 1,400rpm, water temp 33c

OCCT
No BPC
GPU 48, Memory Junction 68
Fans 1,400 rpm, water temp 33c

BPC
GPU 48-49, Memory Junction 58
Fans 1,450 rpm, water temp 34c

Block is a Corsair XG7 3090 FE.

Anyway, thanks to all on this thread for your help on this :)

forgot to mention l had +1000 on the mem on after burner for those tests. Can’t believe I forgot that . The gpu was at stock using the 520W EVGA bios though. I’ll edit my post.

Associate
OP
forgot to mention l had +1000 on the mem on after burner for those tests. Can’t believe I forgot that . The gpu was at stock using the 520W EVGA bios though. I’ll edit my post.

Oh good point.

I wish the FE had an option for a bios like that! Mine was at 400W draw, +140 core, +750 memory

Soldato
I’ve installed the Aqua computer water block and it performs worse than the EK even with its active back plate.

was a nightmare to install and produces louder coil whine than my Strix did.

Results are under same conditions

GPU temp - 46c
Memory temp - 78C!!
Flow - 4.89 (an improvement there)

not going to bother trying it with the MP5works. No point. The flow will be the same, but the temps most likely won’t be better than the EK.

im going back to the EK water block and applying the revised thermal pad placement and will test without VRM pads to see how that works as without thermal pads on the back of the VRMs there’s no coil whine.

one thing to note though. I have the first revision parallel MP5 works that has no fins. You most likely have the revised version, so apart from the serial version bleeding faster there may not be a difference in temps.

it does look good though

ASmZCZq.jpg

Ddgtzv5.jpg
I read on the aquacomputer forums in the german section, people were having similar performance issues. There was a lot of talk about the pads used as well, think maybe they switched to paste?

Associate
I have the serial version myself, and unfortunately inline temp sensor sprung a leak.
I saw a disturbing video on the aquacomputer backplate cooler where they had a leak on the pipes linking the front and backplate. Seems as if the mp5works is the most reliable solution so far.

Associate
I’ve gone back to the EK water block.

the difference in temps between the thermal pads on the back plate VRMs and with out is 1C all be it at a short stress test, but the coil whine is gone and I’ll monitor it.
My reasoning behind removing them is based on the quality of the stock back plates. They are not going to be doing much to help the VRM so I’m sure it will be fine. The top of the VRM is still thermal padded and water cooled too

Associate
With the 3090 KFA SG with an Alphacool block having just added the parallel mp5works block I see about 6-8C less on memory junction temperature on load, bringing it down from ~74C to ~66C, and that brings these temps to a range I'm much happier with. Haven't yet touched or measured the backplate since adding the mp5works block though. It got really hot before.

Associate
OP
I’ve gone back to the EK water block.

the difference in temps between the thermal pads on the back plate VRMs and with out is 1C all be it at a short stress test, but the coil whine is gone and I’ll monitor it.
My reasoning behind removing them is based on the quality of the stock back plates. They are not going to be doing much to help the VRM so I’m sure it will be fine. The top of the VRM is still thermal padded and water cooled too

No coil whine by removing thermal pads from the VRMs? Would this apply to other cards, too? My 3090 FE appears better than it was stock, but there is still a bit.

Associate
OP
With the 3090 KFA SG with an Alphacool block having just added the parallel mp5works block I see about 6-8C less on memory junction temperature on load, bringing it down from ~74C to ~66C, and that brings these temps to a range I'm much happier with. Haven't yet touched or measured the backplate since adding the mp5works block though. It got really hot before.

Sounds like it's in the expected range. One of the YouTube channels (maybe eTeknix?) said that their OC was more stable with the addition of the BPC. I didn't try going past my air cooled OC (+140 core) with the waterblock on but BPC off, but did some testing earlier today with it up to 185 and it seems rock solid (passed Port Royal and Timespy Extreme stress tests, and a couple of hours of Watchdogs legion). Hard for me to say what it would have behaved like without BPC, but would be interested to know if you find a difference.

Associate

You can swap tops with new coldplate :)
It was designed to fit both parallel and serial tops to give you more freedom for the future builds etc. (Also it helped to keep cost down XD)

Please always use longer M4x10 screws with the new coldplate (M4x8 for the old coldplate).
Also, make sure you install it in correct orientation (as shown in pic below for reference)

I hope that helps,

Lucas

Associate
No coil whine by removing thermal pads from the VRMs? Would this apply to other cards, too? My 3090 FE appears better than it was stock, but there is still a bit.

Without thermal pads on the back, there is 0 coil whine what so ever. VRM temps are perfectly normal after hours of game play.

Associate
so does that say something about how bad the thermal pads and backplate are at dispersing heat?

Not sure. All I know is on HWInfo I haven't seen the GPU VRM get higher than 45C. I have read somewhere that only the VRAM are required by design to have thermal padding. It may help dissipate heat away from the PCB. I also ran stress tests without a backplate on and the back VRMs were only warm to touch.

Back
Top Bottom