Mp5works BPC plumbing

Associate
Hi All

I've tried to copy the Framechasers chap's plumbing for the Mp5works BPC. Looks aside, can you please comment on whether or not this will work? I'm unsure about the whole parallel plumbing thing that this part requires.

Image of proposed plumbing here:
http://imgur.com/gallery/5ZJj317

Associate
OP
Yeah I agree it looks a bit ****. Maybe a bit better once it's installed and the BPC hoses will be held down by the gpu inlet hose.

All of my loop will be front facing though, so I'm thinking my only alternative is to have the BPC inlet hose splitting off of the pump exit, and the BPC outlet hose join the top of the reservoir, which will also look kinda messy, and require more fittings.

I suppose I could also cut down the hoses and unsleeve the tube, so long as it's not hard to get such hoses again.

Anyway thanks for confirming that this can work :)

Soldato
not convinced. the main water inlet to the gpu block will be straight thru to the back block and then that goes straight to the outlet of the gpu block. this therefore puts the back block in parallel with the main gpu block. If I were you, I'd be trying to have the back block parallel to a tubing run rather than a component.

Associate
OP
not convinced. the main water inlet to the gpu block will be straight thru to the back block and then that goes straight to the outlet of the gpu block. this therefore puts the back block in parallel with the main gpu block. If I were you, I'd be trying to have the back block parallel to a tubing run rather than a component.

Forgive me for being dumb while I try to get my head around this, but I am struggling to see a big difference right now:

On entry: yes, the water is straight through to the BPC inlet, but will the resistance of the small hose not force water into the GPU block? Although I have to say I'm worried (and admittedly uneducated) about the fittings on the BPC which you just push the hose into. Would a T junction before the GPU block be better? i.e. Direct flow of water into GPU block, 90 degree turn before GPU block into BPC inlet.

On exit from the GPU block: the water gets directed vertically through the T-fitting, and the BPC return joins it (10mm or so after the GPU block exit). How is this different from water exiting the GPU block, going through a hose, and then having the BPC return enter the hose (say, 100mm after the GPU block exit)?

Inlet from the pump is fine but the return by the rad depends on your set up. Although i said it will work its definitely not ideal .

OK. So, inlet from pump, return at top of pump reservoir sounds better?

Soldato
The difference is that with it parallel to a tube run, all the water still goes through the gpu block. the way you have it you're splitting the flow between the gpu block and the back block. the gpu block is likely far more flow resistant than the back block and you may find that the flow through the more critical component is too reduced.

You'll have to try it and see I suppose.

Soldato
I would avoid the gpu completely and have the inlet from the res tapped on a t piece and then return at a rad port on a t piece again.

Much cleaner look.

Did you do a test for comparison for before and after? Especially on the core temps, i've seen people say they've had a drop of upto 2-4c on the core as well with the backplate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
OP
The difference is that with it parallel to a tube run, all the water still goes through the gpu block. the way you have it you're splitting the flow between the gpu block and the back block. the gpu block is likely far more flow resistant than the back block and you may find that the flow through the more critical component is too reduced.

You'll have to try it and see I suppose.

Sorry, I get you now, I think! I wasn't considering the high resistance of the GPU block.

Ideally the return before the rad so it cools before going into the pump resoiver but depends on your loop set up.

That makes sense, I think I'll feed the backplate cooler after reservoir, then return to the loop before first or second radiator.

I would avoid the gpu completely and have the inlet from the res tapped on a t piece and then return at a rad port on a t piece again.

Much cleaner look.
Did you do a test for comparison for before and after? Especially on the core temps, i've seen people say they've had a drop of upto 2-4c on the core as well with the backplate.

I've not built the loop yet as one of my orders got delayed and I only recently got all of the stuff. Work permitting I'll do it this weekend though.

My plan is to plumb the back plate cooler in but not attach it to the backplate, run some tests, then attach it. Very interested to see what difference it makes!

Thanks All for your help!

Associate
Thanks for the heads up! Might get that in black. I imagine it's quite restrictive, but could be good

Ill do a test on restrictiveness between the parallel version, serial version, X4 Ram Block and X6 Ram block when my parts arrive. Ill let you know.

Associate
That would be amazing for the community, thank you! :)

So I finally got round to doing this today.

I tested each of these for any changes in flow rate. Additionally I tested both the MP5works serial and paralell temps on both the GPU and memory junction using OCCT 3D for 10 minutes with 3 Shaders. 10 minutes was fine to get a reading.

uVIVNySh.jpg

In my loop was

480 Rad
MPC35x2 pumps set 31% (equivalent to a D5 on 120% power
CPU EK Velocity Block
EK Strix 3090 Water Block
BarrowCH Ram Water Block.

3 Pairs of Quick Disconnects for testing.

Prior to testing I tested the difference with and without the Ram block on the Ram. I lost 1 litre per minute doing this.

Results are quite boring, but good actually.

Results taken after 10 minutes OCCT +1000 mghz on Ram on Msi afterburner. Gpu stock on EVGA 520W Bios

Stock with no active back plate was

Flow Rate - 4.25 litres / min
GPU temp - 48C
Memory Junction - 74C

With the Parallel MP5 works

GPU temp - 44C
Memory Junction - 66C

With the Serial MP5 works

GPU temp - 42C
Memory Junction - 62C

The X4 and X6 Ram blocks maintained the 4.25 Litres / minute flow.

I am not sure why the flow did not change, maybe it had something to do with a Ram water block already in there.

I am installing an Aquacomputer Kryographics Next 3090 Strix water block later today with an active back plate, which I will test with the included active backplate alone and adding the MP5works Serial active back plate for double the cooling to see if it makes a difference.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
@OC2000 That's awesome, thank you! Minus 2 core and minus 4 memory junction is actually quite decent, I think! I've actually just hooked up the serial version to my first loop (leak testing now before firing up tonight), so I'll stick with that for the time being. I might go serial for cleanliness at some time in the future, and a couple of degrees are always welcome :)

Will be interesting to hear how the Kryographics goes. That's what I wanted but they're not doing one for the FE yet, I don't think.

Soldato
Hmm not as big of a difference as i've seen claimed. There was a guy on the EVGA forums that claimed Sub 60 (around 55c i think) on the memory temps with a ram block for the backplate cooling. It's still a improvement none the less but i was expecting abit more. Think if thats the case, the current temps at 76C when gaming is worth leaving as it is as its nowhere near the 110c threshold.

Associate
@OC2000 That's awesome, thank you! Minus 2 core and minus 4 memory junction is actually quite decent, I think! I've actually just hooked up the serial version to my first loop (leak testing now before firing up tonight), so I'll stick with that for the time being. I might go serial for cleanliness at some time in the future, and a couple of degrees are always welcome :)

Will be interesting to hear how the Kryographics goes. That's what I wanted but they're not doing one for the FE yet, I don't think.

I’ve installed the Aqua computer water block and it performs worse than the EK even with its active back plate.

was a nightmare to install and produces louder coil whine than my Strix did.

Results are under same conditions

GPU temp - 46c
Memory temp - 78C!!
Flow - 4.89 (an improvement there)

not going to bother trying it with the MP5works. No point. The flow will be the same, but the temps most likely won’t be better than the EK.

im going back to the EK water block and applying the revised thermal pad placement and will test without VRM pads to see how that works as without thermal pads on the back of the VRMs there’s no coil whine.

one thing to note though. I have the first revision parallel MP5 works that has no fins. You most likely have the revised version, so apart from the serial version bleeding faster there may not be a difference in temps.

it does look good though

ASmZCZq.jpg

Ddgtzv5.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom