• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSI 290/290X Gaming Edition Thread

Soldato
really impressed with this cards temps now that I have tweaked afterburner. I run the profile at 55-60% fan speed (which is still very quiet) when it goes above 60c and it keeps my GPU at around 68c during heavy Planetside 2 and BF4 sessions at 1000mhz.

Associate
I can run 1,100-5,800 on stock volts with my 290x though i did raise the power limit to +50

Have you increased the power limit setting?

Power settings are all good @ +50

The card also runs at around 80c while gaming at 70% Fan speed (1440p Crysis 3 Max) and seems to throttle back to 980Mhz. While running Furmark it doesnt throttle till 94C and even then it only throttles to 1000Mhz

Associate
Power settings are all good @ +50

The card also runs at around 80c while gaming at 70% Fan speed (1440p Crysis 3 Max) and seems to throttle back to 980Mhz. While running Furmark it doesnt throttle till 94C and even then it only throttles to 1000Mhz

i would set a custom fan profile if you havnt done already. something like this
1080p my card never goes above 70c

blala.jpg

Associate
A guy said he emailed MSI about it and they told him it had no VRM sensors :S

Made an acct here to address this lol. I'm the guy you and others have mentioned, about my post on overclock.net. Wasn't trolling, here is the message from MSI:

1gwm.jpg

It's not an email per se, you ask your question through their online form and they make a case file and send you a link where your dialogue is shown on the bottom.

No idea why MSI told me this, since everyone who has this card, including steadly at oc.net, reports vrm sensors. Shrug, you tell me, was my question ambiguous?

Associate
I just wanted to say thanks for the information in this thread - my gaming edition 290 is being delivered from ocuk today - cant wait till I get home!

I'm hoping that my card comes with hynix memory chips as I believe they are a bit better? :confused:

Has anyone recently bought a card from ocuk and had the less desirable elipida chips fitted?

Thanks
Daniel

Caporegime
I think ive come up with a temporary fix for anyone having an issue of their single 290 card throttling under load. Is anyone interested in testing it for me to confirm it works for them? If so ill start a new thread with the details. Its an easy fix which takes 30 seconds to set up. First two people that reply will get the fix trusted to them and once they confirm it works ill start a new thread with the details and a brief guide. This will tide people over for a few days until the new beta drivers are out.

EDIT

Found this card for £335. Wow, great price.

Last edited:
Associate
Awww buttscracher - my card appears to be voltage locked (at least in afterburner)

:(

I just wanted to say thanks for the information in this thread - my gaming edition 290 is being delivered from ocuk today - cant wait till I get home!

I'm hoping that my card comes with hynix memory chips as I believe they are a bit better? :confused:

Has anyone recently bought a card from ocuk and had the less desirable elipida chips fitted?

Thanks
Daniel

Associate
I think ive come up with a temporary fix for anyone having an issue of their single 290 card throttling under load. Is anyone interested in testing it for me to confirm it works for them? If so ill start a new thread with the details. Its an easy fix which takes 30 seconds to set up. First two people that reply will get the fix trusted to them and once they confirm it works ill start a new thread with the details and a brief guide. This will tide people over for a few days until the new beta drivers are out.

EDIT

Found this card for £335. Wow, great price.

Only just seen this... What's the fix Matt? :)

Back
Top Bottom