• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSI 290/290X Gaming Edition Thread

Associate
False alarm, my card was not voltage locked -I simply needed to install a more modern version of afterburner.

I am really pleased with the card - it runs bf4 on ultra 1080p at over 80 to 100fps, it seems to overclock well, my card came with hynix memory chips, however overclocking the memory freqency is still a bit buggy - When pushed to 1500Mhz I get a lockup/black screen style crash - not solved this just yet... :/

It runs cool very quiet too - this card is housed in an old Antec P180 case and when I leave the card mining overnight it comfortably sits at 78degC with the fans on 54% speed.

And OCUK - I dont know how you do it with your delivery - Ordered 1630 Thursday, arrived 0930 Friday morning! Amazing service once again.

Daniel

Associate
Hello does anyone know what would be a better cpu for a socket 1156 motherboard for my msi r9 290 gaming edition gpu ? I am currently using a intel i5 750 at 4ghz would you say that would be sufficient or am I better looking for an upgrade cpu

Thank you

Associate
Hello does anyone know what would be a better cpu for a socket 1156 motherboard for my msi r9 290 gaming edition gpu ? I am currently using a intel i5 750 at 4ghz would you say that would be sufficient or am I better looking for an upgrade cpu

Thank you

The i5 750 at 4.0ghz is sufficient.

When i first got my 290x i was running it with an i5 760 also at 4.0ghz and it performed very well.

I have comparison benchmark results between the i5 760 and my new i7 4770k and in some things the difference is minimal.

The only reason i upgraded was because my socket 1156 motherboard wouldnt always boot with the 290x due to poor power delivery.

Otherwise i would have happily kept the i5 760.

Caporegime

Good find Scotty. That's the first review ive seen of this card.

For the love of god i can't understand why Guru3D (or some other sites for that matter) insist on disabling TressFX or using Bioshocks DDOF filter (which does nothing for image quality and just blurs the image + favours Nvidia cards) otherwise a couple of those results (Tomb Raider and Bioshock) would look very different.

Didn't realise the lead in BF4 was that big. :eek:

UtCgyDb.png

Caporegime

Good review and something in the overclocking I pulled out for those who don't know and tempted to use it:

We do not recommend you to overclock with the Catalyst Control panel. We tried and failed miserably as once the OC is applied, it will be reinstated during Windows boot-up. In our case the overclock resulted into a black screen crash, and with each boot-up, the OC applied itself again before we could reach the control panel to enable default. In the end we ended up reinstalling an OS backup image as even a System Restore would not get us out of this little black hole.

Soldato
Hi, any reviews for the none x version ? Mines running at 1100mhz gpu , 1400mhz do you think it will be around same performance ?

Thanks

Associate
Hello am just checking on my system components in my setup I have a thermaltake tough power 750w power supply is that sufficient to run my msi r9 290 gaming edition with no issues

Thank you

Associate
I compared the OC clock settings on that website whyscotty posted between the msi R290X and asus r290, and wow. OC the r290 is just a couple of few fps below.

To bad they didn't have a msi r290 to review, with cost/effiency the r290 wins. Makes me consider if the 100+ cost of the R290X is worth it, or is just a waste if I'm getting a single card.

Back
Top Bottom