• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSI 290/290X Gaming Edition Thread

Soldato
I'm blown away with the silence of mine, at first I was hmmmmm, put my finger on the gpu fans and slowed them to a stop, and there wasn't a huge difference, turns out the majority of the noise was from my cpu cooler fan................... which makes me think my reference msi with a custom profile wouldn't have been so bad after all lol

Associate

these cards can be easily obtained now and i'm shocked there is still only one review on the WWW :eek::confused:

Not too keen on some of Hilberts review methods!

Ties in with what i've found so far temp wise though absolute tops at 72*c with less than 50% fan.

Love the spacing on the backplate of the card to stop heatsoak, and every memory chip is covered in a thermal pad unlike the Asus DCII.

Best 290 aftermarket by a mile.

Associate
ps. i've switched my bios selector towards the back of the case and the card is now running with a slower spinning fan with no performance hit thus far (frames are super high in everything) thought the bios switch didnt do much on these.

The card in the box says legacy or UEFI bios switch.

Caporegime
ps. i've switched my bios selector towards the back of the case and the card is now running with a slower spinning fan with no performance hit thus far (frames are super high in everything) thought the bios switch didnt do much on these.

The card in the box says legacy or UEFI bios switch.

Interesting keep testing dude. Could this be the fix?

Associate
Total fail moment last night. Playing assassin's creed 3 thinking "excellent holding a steady 60. Strange though 2nd card isn't being used." forgot to re enable crossfire in all games. Doh!

Quiet cards so far though.

Last edited:
Soldato
Total fail moment last night. Playing assassin's creed 3 thinking "excellent holding a steady 60. Strange though 2nd card isn't being used." forgot to re enable crossfire in all games. Doh!

Quiet cards so far though.

How are you getting on with these cards in crossfire? Are the temps reasonable? and do you have the 290's or the 290x's?

Cheers.

Associate
290's. So far I've had very little gaming time and as you can see the little time I did have I only had 1 running however it was only about 60°. I do also have 2 side fans blowing air right onto them. I won't really know how they fair until the weekend when I can get a good few hours in.

Soldato
For this Twin Frozr design I was told that positive pressure onto the card was better, was just curious what kind of case fan setup you guys have for this card and what temps you are getting?

Back
Top Bottom