• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSI 290/290X Gaming Edition Thread

Soldato
Definitely get a new one, they are great cards and they are the best 290 in my opinion. Yeh they don't run as cool as a Sapphire Tri x, but the Sapphire has 3 fans, is a lot longer and only has 2 year warranty. The MSI gaming edition is the best 290 hands down when you look at the whole package.

Associate
Okay, now I'm jealous:D I'll have to exchange my crappy MSI with a new one ;)

Do it, my highest temp was 80C and that was after 150 min valley run with auto fan (max 59%), and 1100mhz gpu.
BTW idle you mean "idle" or browsing etc.? Real idle is between 30-35C for me, but if im browsing its around 40C.

Associate
Thank you for sharing your experience with us :) In which games do you reach 75c? I believe that I will return the MSI, my card is strange :D

I've not been able to get my 290 msi gaming over 72*c in max payne 3 with everything ultrad. max fan 50%.

Other games, Metro, Skyrim, Dishonored top out at 65-68*c

Soldato
Thank you for sharing your experience with us :) In which games do you reach 75c? I believe that I will return the MSI, my card is strange :D

I've managed to get mine to 76/77 at 53 percent fan, but that's with benchmarking and stress testing (Heaven, Furmark, 3D Mark). I can't see any actual games getting that hot.

Either your case is very weird, or your card's heatsink isn't fitted properly.

Soldato
Ordered 2x 290s coming later today CT wait to test them out haa
Little worried about crossfire temps with theses though? Heard they run much hotter in crossfire anyone here running two of these?

Associate
Do it, my highest temp was 80C and that was after 150 min valley run with auto fan (max 59%), and 1100mhz gpu.
BTW idle you mean "idle" or browsing etc.? Real idle is between 30-35C for me, but if im browsing its around 40C.

I'm hitting 90oC and fan between 90 and 100%. Going to modify the desk to improve air flow around the case and if that doesn't improve things I might have to accept I have a bad card.

Andy

Associate
I've had mine for about a week now and while the performance is a nice jump over a 5870, one of the fans has started making a VERY loud clicking noise whenever I turn the PC on. It's getting worse as well, used to go away quickly now it only goes away when i turn the fan speed up in CCC :(

Don't suppose anyone else has had this problem?

Associate
I've had mine for about a week now and while the performance is a nice jump over a 5870, one of the fans has started making a VERY loud clicking noise whenever I turn the PC on. It's getting worse as well, used to go away quickly now it only goes away when i turn the fan speed up in CCC :(

Don't suppose anyone else has had this problem?

Yep.. I had this. I RMA'd the card, got it replaced. Only, ever so recently, my replacement card has started to do the same thing!!! :mad: Don't think I can be bothered to go through RMA again though, might just call it quits and replace with a Sapphire Tri-X

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom