• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSI 290/290X Gaming Edition Thread

Associate
Make sure you check the clearances in your case - the Tri-X is very long. If it can't fit, the decision's been made for you.

went for the msi for this reason, the tri x would have been a close call mayb 4mm too big lol. pleased with the xtra years warranty for an tenner extra tho

Soldato
went for the msi for this reason, the tri x would have been a close call mayb 4mm too big lol. pleased with the xtra years warranty for an tenner extra tho

When I bought the MSI at the end of January, it was about £50 cheaper on a "today only" offer than the Tri-X (the Tri-X has now dropped and has been on offer). I can actually fit both in my case, but I'm primarily a gamer, so the quieter MSI, nice backplate, extra warranty, etc is actually a more sensible card for me as the majority of time it's not gaming, I want it to be idling as quietly and efficiently as possible. If you're going for mad overclocks or mining, the Tri-X is probably better, just because there's more fans and a bigger heatsink attached to it.

Soldato
My change of GPU config has paid of big time with these cards. My aim was to get the close to each other temp wise just like my 7950's.
The more you can space these away from each other you in for a real treat. They run superb quite and the cooler is just unreal. But them close to each other and you have a problem though haaa

:D
Screenshot%20%2888%29.png

Associate
hi, i got my msi 290 gaming asic 81,5%, but i can do max 1080/1300memory clock with stock voltage +12, but if i put +100mv i get Black Screen with only 1325mhz memory, on heaven4 bench. i can switch bios with asus 290 ref bios or sapphire tri-x bios?
very strange for hynix memory :/

edit
1150/1300 +75mv +50pl / 82° gpu / vrm1 86° / max vdcc 1.262v, with fan 2350-2400rpm custom profile with 1hour of crysis 3 gameplay.

i can push the core, but max memory mhz is always 1300mhz.

edit2
flashed 290 tri-x bios
now 1100/1500 +12mv (stock) +50pl then 2pass heaven4 (score 1465) 80° gpu / 81° vrm1 / max vdcc 1.196v, fan max 2300rpm. :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom