• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSI 290/290X Gaming Edition Thread

Associate
Do you know at what temp you are at before it started to throttle?
At the desktop it used the base clock of 300mhz, when boost happens it hits anything from 800-1030Mhz.. at base clock the temp is around 30c.. at load it was around 60-70c.. I was far too busy enjoying the game to record data (it replaced a 512mb 3870) but I will get some proper stats and share here.. most of the time the fan doesn't spin up for me.. I have to afterburner it. I'll post an afterburner graph to show what I'm on about.

Also agree that the current OC special offer is an absolute bargain, I knew I'd be paying for pre-order but that's a bit soon!

Associate
Desperately trying to decide between this MSI R9 290 and the Sapphire Tri-x R9 290!

Still waiting for a complete review to appear....in fact, it's rather unfathomable that one is yet to surface! :(

This is probably a wrong thread for unbiased advice, but advice is advice nonetheless! So feel free to show your opinions....! ;)

Associate
Desperately trying to decide between this MSI R9 290 and the Sapphire Tri-x R9 290!

Me too but I think I'm gonna hold out for the Lightning... To help you decide though the MSI has a redesigned pcb and 1 year longer warranty so I would go for that one!

Soldato

Still waiting for a complete review to appear....in fact, it's rather unfathomable that one is yet to surface! :(

This is probably a wrong thread for unbiased advice, but advice is advice nonetheless! So feel free to show your opinions....! ;)

exact same boat here, cant believe searching for info doesnt bring up much information about it, love to see full review and benchmarks before i commit
also been looking at this, but no reviews on it

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-166-PC&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=1752

Thanks

Associate
At the desktop it used the base clock of 300mhz, when boost happens it hits anything from 800-1030Mhz.. at base clock the temp is around 30c.. at load it was around 60-70c.. I was far too busy enjoying the game to record data (it replaced a 512mb 3870) but I will get some proper stats and share here.. most of the time the fan doesn't spin up for me.. I have to afterburner it. I'll post an afterburner graph to show what I'm on about.

Also agree that the current OC special offer is an absolute bargain, I knew I'd be paying for pre-order but that's a bit soon!

If it's throttling at ~60-70c ... then that is bad!

Soldato
Just got mine up and running. Using afterburner I cranked it to 1000mhz with +50 power and ran Heaven, card hits just below 80c. My case is very bad for airflow, but even at 80c the fan can hardly be heard. Very happy with the card and no throttling experienced.

OcUK Staff
Hi there

If anyone is running litecoin, these cards seem rather excellent for it too.

1000Mhz Core
6000MHz RAM
1.20v core

947 hash rate, gotta be the best I've seen on a single GPU card. :)

Back
Top Bottom