• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSI 6900XT - black screen/crash?

Associate
Hi, hoping someone here can help me out as i have literally tried everything to resolve this problem. The card can work for hours on end with no issues then other times it just black screens on my main monitor and freezes my second monitor but can still hear sound of video/games. At first i assumed it was my 750 watt psu so i just went ahead and upgraded it to a 1000 watt psu and still get the same problem. On restart i get an AMD software pop up on the bottom right: Default Radeon wattman settings have been restored due to an unexpected system failure.

Spec:
5800x3d
Liquid Freezer II 280
32gb corsair vengeance 3600mhz
Gigabyte X570 AORUS Elite
Be Quiet Pure 11 1000 Watt psu

Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Associate
Have you tried anything else to diagnose the issue or just replaced your PSU?
  • Is your motherboard on the latest Bios and your card on the latest driver?
  • Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling drivers using DDU or AMD Cleanup Utility? I upgraded recently from a 5700xt and was getting intermittent grey flashes on the screen before reinstalling drivers.
  • Are you using good quality cables or the free ones that come with your monitor? Sometimes on AMD these can cause an issue
  • Does each 8 pin connector on the card have its own cable or are you daisy chaining?

Soldato
Mobo and gpu are on latest driver/bios, i have tried using ddu etc, cables are decent enough quality and yes my gpu is daisy chained.

Have you run memtest on the memory to rule out bad system ram ? Also tried reseating the ram and other components to rule out something may have moved or got knocked.

Associate
As long as you are using 2 separate cables from your PSU to the card with 1 daisy chained it usually shouldn't be an issue. I'd probably try using 3 separate PCIE cables just to be sure. I've saw a few people online reporting that running 3 cables fixed the issue

Soldato
I hate to say it, but I had the same issue when I installed my 6700XT. Doing nothing intensive, just browsing the net, listening to Spotify and then BOOM - Screen went off but everything still "working" in the background, and then a total crash then restart.

I tried re-seating, CMOS, Fresh W11 install, up to date drivers, and BIOS etc..still persisted..

I RMA the card, and went back down the NVIDIA route, been perfect since. Apparently an issue within the AMD GPU drivers or something, there are work arounds but hey, I couldnt be bothered with issues like this on a new card.

Last edited:
Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
Associate
I'd test the stability of the ram to rule it out.. hci overnight, tm5 w/ anta777, 1usmus or even karhu (the best one) if you dont mind paying.. or just add 0.025v (limited to 1.425V for this purpose) to the ram and see what happens..

Associate
I ended up chopping in my XFX 6900 for an Nvidia RTX 4080.
It was fine in games, but would black screen watching some daft video in a web browser.

RAM was carried over.
My suspicion was the AMD Drivers and the latest W11 builds.
Nvidia card in the same hardware is now rock solid.

Last edited:
Soldato
I ended up chopping in my XFX 6900 for an Nvidia RTX 4080.
It was fine in games, but would black screen watching some daft video in a web browser.

RAM was carried over.
My suspicion was the AMD Drivers and the latest W11 builds.
Nvidia card in the same hardware is now rock solid.

yeah, similar situation I had..

Back
Top Bottom