• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSI 7950 twin frozr help!

Associate
Just bought a 7950 twin frozr from here and it arrived today, reason I bought this card was because of the price (£225), the cooler (which I read was good!?) and the warranty. Installed today and its extremely loud, I have no idea why its so loud but if I load up arma 3 or bf3 it just begins to spin up and never stop, always goes to 100% after a few minutes and I have tried to change the fan curve but it doesnt like obeying my changes in afterburner.

Voltage wont budge, it is stock at 1.25 which to me seems very high for a 7950 and it should be near the 1.1 mark right? Tried to move it down but it just doesnt take effect, bypasses any changes in afterburner. The worst part is that I read that MSI dont mind if you change the cooler as long as you send it back with the original setup and of course the failure isnt caused by the change, I see 1 void sticker on one of the screws on the back, has their policy changed recently or can I just ignore this?.

Noticed coil whine from my card as well which is odd as the box seems to say that because it uses this solid state choke it doesnt have coil whine?.

Have I got a dud? And can someone explain OverclockersUK returns policy as I am new here and I have read the 14 day thing and it seems its just extended DSR, thinking of returning this card and swapping it with the gigabyte windforce as the chance of voiding warranty negates my want for putting my waterblock on it (would have got a cheap and nasty XFX else!) so the air cooler needs to be much better. However I have claimed the amd game bundle so wondering if OCU would just allow me to swap and they keep the second code?.

Any help is appreciated, driving my nut in wasted a day moving my watercooling setup and feel extremely disappointed, card does not live up to reviews!.

Associate
OP
Unfortunately its not the v2 version it is a 7950 board with 2x 6pin adapters (even the xfx is a 7970 haha, my mates xfx seems better than this card atm!).

I get <65C in any game, idling at 39 - 43C. Arma 3 and BF3 I suppose are the most stressful and it never gone above 65, it could well be poor contact but I have been reading and it appears that its a manufacturing issue where there is a diode left, if you remove this diode the fan can actually be controlled... the issue is if it goes above 55C then you lose control of the fan and it automatically ramps it up to 100%, useless really and it seems to be common so no idea how it hasnt been fixed yet!.

I wouldnt be so annoyed if this warranty void sticker wasnt on the screw, I would have already shoved my waterblock on it, was deciding whether to drop watercooling but this has made me decide wcing is a must :p. However I wont put it on when I void the 3 year warranty and its an expensive card (for me anyway), stupid sticker.

Associate
OP
Really? Does anyone have like an official statement I can quote? Not that I doubt you guys but it seems odd only OCUK bought MSi cards are supported?.

This changes it though, I will see over the next day or two how this coil whine goes because I had this in one of my last GPUs and it was so annoying :p, if thats the case though I will just ask for a replacement MSI card as its cheaper than that gigabyte.

Thanks for the replies guys it certainly has answered a fair few of my questions!

Associate
OP
How did I miss this ha, greatly appreciated I just wanted to know 100%, awesome news now time to order the little adapter for my block :).

Thanks again, hopefully this coil whine is my imagination or somehow disappears shortly!.

Back
Top Bottom