• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

msi ati 6950

Associate
Hi,

I bought a prebuilt system here about 8 months ago with i think a msi 6950, it has two dvi out, 1 hdmi and 2xmini ports...
I have two screens at the mo, and want to add a third to extend my desktop to 3...
Ive tried plugging a hdmi cable into the port, but windows will only allow me to have 1 dvi and 1 hdmi, not both dvi and hdmi?

How or can i get 3 monitors off this card?

Caporegime
Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ok so today i bought a DP dvi adaptor as OC didnt have any instock..

I have 3 samsung 24" monitors all using WORKING dvi cables, tested each monitor with cable on my card as single monitor and all fine..eventhough ive been using em for years...

Before i had 2 monitors with DVI working perfectly, no with the DP adaptor i plug it in to either of the DP sockets on my amd 6950 card and power up the pc, the pc starts and gets to the win7 desktop, but all monitors dont display, the DP port monitor flickers on and off non stop... do i unplug it and the other monitors come alive both outputted from the card via DVI...

I then plug DP monitor back in and other two go off and DP monitor flickers, so instead i unplug a DVI monitor from the card and the DP and DVI work fine, i plug 2rd DVI back and off they go...

So it seems that any combination of the ports as long as its only two are plugged in that i can get a pic...

Its not the DP adapter as its working perfect as i type this nor the cables as same as before...

The base unit is a 2600k OC with i think a 850w psu, it was a complete build i bought from OC about 10 months ago, ive never had a prob till this...

Is there any bios i may need to flash? or any suggestions..?

Associate
OP
Hi,

Ive got a feeling i bout just a convertor from ****** part number n49hh for £15, and that it might not be what i need...

As ive seen the same on ebay for £4

Caporegime
I can't see that it says anything about being an active adapter.

I think you need to try and get a refund and start again.

AMD have a list of approved adapters here.

Remember to look at the miniDP to DVI active adapters.

Soldato
Yea, that just looks like a passive adapter - that won't work to drive a third monitor as it is still trying to use one of the two display signals used by the other monitors.

To get round this you need to buy an active adapter as was highlighted above. As there are none in stock on OCUK then I would suggest having a google for one of the following:

"StarTech Mini DisplayPort to DVI Active Adapter"
"sapphire 44000-03-40G"

Back
Top Bottom