MSI Dragon center and Fans issue

Associate
Hello all thank you for taking the time to read this.

I'm having a real hard time with the fans on my gt73vr 7re i just got it on friday the 31st had some very strange issues with this laptop from the beginning.
i have done a clean install of windows 10.

the dragon center and the fans are not working properly for me. if i have it set on auto fan, dragon center says fan speed is 0 rpm !

on basic fan option max, dragon center will state fan speeds upto 1100 rpm

on cooler boost dragon center states fan are around 5000 rpm

my problem is that the auto settings dont seem to be working which is strange. now if i uninstall dragon center and reinstall the auto settings for the fan seems to work ok, until if for any reason the fans need to go near maximum or seems to be anything above 3500 rpm this will cause the auto feature to stop working again to 0 rpm for the auto fan setting.

i currently have 1 workaround with this issue. theres an option for advanced fan control which allows you to pick which speed you want the fans on, i can keep that at medium speed which is good for basics.

http://imgur.com/a/Mo0CV

any advice will help, and thank you in advance :)

I'm trying to avoid having to send it back to MSI, as i got this in the exchange program.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hi Miral, send an email to me and Nat and we will pick up on Monday

Thank you, i already sent Natalie an email about it about an hour ago, i dont expect her to respond till monday or tuesday.

im currently reinstalling everything from scratch. i have formated everything 10 times to make sure its clean, so far only windows 10 stock before any major updates and dragon center only installed is working ok. I will try to fix this over the weekend hopefully if im successful i will email Natalie, if it doesn't work i can atleast help narrow down the issue. thank you.

update

as soon as the nahimic audio drivers were installed thats when my dragon center has started acting funny again, stuck on max fan speed wont change, digitally until i push the physical button off and on a couple of times. uninstall and reinstall dragon center and it works again, install msi true color dragon center stops rcognizing the cpu clock frequency. i will try using it and installing games tonight and tomorrow to test it out before monday so i can say if its fixed or not

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Update. Issue seems to be solved now.

I have had to do clean install of windows 4 times but it is now fixed. it seems that some of the drivers from MSI were causing some conflicts for some reason with my laptop. i have only installed MSI dragon center, nahimic audio, true color, and steel series keyboard thats it! if i install the rest of the drivers the fan issue will reoccur! so as safety i have not installed them or plan to. i know lot of owners use the other drivers without issue, but on my particular laptop it will not work properly, i have tried it with 3 clean windows installs, and no joy.

the 4th clean install i have only used MSI dragon center, nahimic audio and MSI true color, and steel series keyboard, all others are just from the windows updates. currently running very smooth no problems or issues at the moment. so hopefully if everything stays stable, i can avoid having to send this away.

if anyone ever runs into this strange issue maybe this will help you out.

Last edited:
Soldato
Good to hear it worked out for you. Out of interest, did you install any of the Intel drivers or just the ones you mentioned? Was it the latest NV drivers as well ?

Associate
OP
Good to hear it worked out for you. Out of interest, did you install any of the Intel drivers or just the ones you mentioned? Was it the latest NV drivers as well ?

NV drivers = Nvidia ? if yes no that was not the cause.

the only intel driver installed was the intel extreme tuning, but i believe thats installed from the dragon center install. the rest of the drivers i got just from the windows update, and the nvidia website "the MSI nvidia driver is outdated" it was update about a week or so after the MSI 1 so its wasnt old.

i strongly believe its the SCM driver thats the main issue but can't be certain as i really don't want to do another clean install. Its taken me the whole weekend awake for just over 48 hours straight fixing this laptop, and narrowing down the issue.

just so you understand Loki, when i first received the laptop on friday the 31st, i was already having a very strange problem with the laptop. the problem was that it wouldn't boot/power on without the charging cable plugged in. this was straight out of the box.

after updating the bios it fixed the above issue.

then later the next day is when i noticed the issue with the fans. but it has been fixed for now, and hopefully will stay that way. I have atleast 2 year warranty so if it goes bad i will have time to send it in.

Thank you for taking the time to look into my problem, also Natalie is a very good rep, high marks for her dedication.

Associate
Speaking from my own personal experience with having owned various MSI laptops over the years (And now especially with me about to take delivery of the GS63VR), the norm for me now when taking delivery of one of these is to do a complete image backup of all the factory installed partitions / recovery drives and then do a full format on everything before then doing a fresh install of Windows 10. I find the amount of bloatware MSI supply with their new laptops nowadays really do bog down the laptops - the main culprit behind this is MSI's Dragon Centre & the Killer networking app.

After doing a fresh install of Windows 10, all I simply install do to ensure that everything should work as it should besides installing all of the relevant drivers, is to also only install MSI's SteelSeries engine, SCM & the relevant killer .INF driver directly from the Killer website. Everything else I leave out. Sadly I do also install Nahimic audio which is also known to cause issues but I have no other option to, as MSI no longer support the Realtek Audio Manager (Which I always preferred & sounded better in my opinion). Depending how recent & substantial it is documented, I also find that installing the latest BIOS complete with the latest EC firmware helps too.

On the subject of MSI's Dragon Centre in particular, I found out a little while ago that for my own personal needs I was able to go along without having it as Windows 10's own power management can control all the power phases & fans exactly how their supposed to be set - this is all done with only having the Windows power plan set to "Balanced". I found that when having Dragon Centre installed beforehand, even with it set to the least power hungry & economical setting, all the fans were still running in the background and it would keep the CPU clock set to near enough at the max for no reason at all when idle. Also with Windows 10's own balanced power plan, it would keep the CPU clock down to a minimum at idle as it should at around 800mhz - while at the same time pumping enough power to the CPU when required / when put under load. Not having Dragon Centre also shaved off some of the overall CPU / RAM usage as well when running too.

Having a fresh Windows 10 install & taking into account all of the above really does make one heck of a difference with these laptops in general, this may not be to everyone's preference and I'm not trying to go against MSI's advice but it's seriously worth considering when looking into fine tuning these laptops.

Liam.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
i had made an image backup of everything after i upgraded the windows to pro, it came with win 10 home i have a license for pro, i tried the image backup but still had the same issue so thats why i had to clean install. i usually do similar when i get a new laptop i backup then format and clean install what i need, usually works best with no problems.

Associate
I didn't have issues like this with mine but installing graphics drivers and updates to dragon centre BEFORE updating the bios/firmwares did cause me major black screen problems.

They updated the bios after I did some updates, so what I did was completely uninstall dragon centre and graphics drivers. - it does specifically say on the website INSTALL BIOS/FIRMWARE first etc (windows tried to install NVidia driver updates so turn this off auto updates etc).

Installed the bios/firmware updates, followed by graphics drivers and dragon centre - presto no black screens no need for a full format, tbh MSI doesn't come with a lot of the bloatwhere I see on other machines shipped with so there shouldn't really be a need for this...

Yes the killer network drivers seem a bit glitch, but I don't have many issues with this, I have the latest drivers and all seems to be working fast and good speeds...

Associate
OP
I had this issue with my second one. There is a firmware update that is worth installing. But my one was faulty. Tell me, can you run the laptop and game with it in sport mode for more than 10 minutes?

never tried, i usually only have it in turbo mode and whenever i game i put max fans on.

but out of curiosity i did it had no problem for me.

Back
Top Bottom