• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSi gaming R9 270 fan oil leak?

Associate
As I was taking apart my SG05 to change the front fan, I noticed traces of oil on the shroud of my R9 270, around the fans, this can't be good but I looked it up and seems like it's a common issue for MSI's gaming series card.

RMA time I guess?

Associate
OP
I got mine from OCUK, since I'm within 14 days return period, I'll probably return it for something else, with it happening on so many MSI cards, I don't think I don't want to deal with another MSI product.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
This thread isn't about Nvidia vs AMD, it's about the fan oil leak issue on many MSI cards using Twin Frozr style cooler.

Anyways, asked for a RMA few days ago, got a response today saying that the oil leak isn't a fault, they put in too much of it and that it won't harm the system.

A bit disappointing really, with so many fans failing, I expected a better response than this, I shouldn't have to wait until one of the fans fails to RMA it.

I'm just gonna return it under DSR, if I can.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I bought it from OCUK so I'm a bit surprised, any issues I've had with any products, I asked for a RMA or to return item under DSR, they've always approved it without any questions.

Associate
OP
I'm looking at KFA2 GTX 670 on here, but it's the last one in stock and I won't be able to buy until tomorrow. (I'd get it now but I'm unable to pay via PayPal, address unconfirmed for some reason, checked my account, it's verified and confirmed, no idea why.)

Other than that, I'm looking at EVGA GTX 760, unless someone can recommend me a better GPU <£250 that fits in a SG05? (max length 262mm, 267mm if I mod the case but I'd like to avoid that if I can.)

I don't really care about Nvidia/AMD anymore, just whatever has the best price/performance ratio, I already have a mining rig anyways.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Sent in my card via DSR yesterday, arrived today and refunded hours later, can't complain.

It's unfortunate though, I liked the card, the cooler's nice but I can't just ignore the oil issue.

Associate
OP
These cards use PLD10010S12HH fans which are simple sleeve bearing fans. If they're spilling oil everywhere - you've got a bad card and you should RMA it before your fans will die (and they will, belive me).
There seems to be a bad batch of these fans on MSI cards, you can read reviews on newegg for r9 280x which are failing for almost everybody. I have 2 of these cards and on one card fans already failed and another is getting close to it :(

If you don't want to/can't RMA this card - you can actually fix them yourself:
http://imgur.com/a/CrjSQ
You'll lose your warranty but for me it was worth it...very fast and simple fix and I'll be able to grease them again as many times as I want.

Associate
OP
I'm not sure about the claim that this issue only occurs when you're running at 100% fan speed.

Mine leaked and it wasn't running at 100%, wasn't mining 24/7 either, it ran at 40-50% most of time, 60-70% when necessary, usually 40-50c when gaming, peaked 70c, though that rarely happens.

Back
Top Bottom