MSI GT73EVR 1 week review

Associate
Hey y'all, I've been using this wee laptop for a week now and wanted to share my thoughts about living with a GT73EVR.
NB-MSI-GT73VR-7RE-656MY-5.png

I've been desperate to find a great laptop to be the successor of the Asus G701JY (they really need to make those things water/tea proof so after a lot of hemming and hawing and scouring the internet for deals I ended up with this sweet lady.

After a somewhat obsessive week of me trying to find faults with it I've come up with a few but they are minor in what is ultimately the best piece of technology I've ever owned. I'll now go ahead and talk about a pro followed by a con, just to be objective.

So the first pro's I've noticed. The thing is obviously a beast. I've been playing Shadow of War with everything on ultra on 1080 and still getting a steady 80 fps. When I scale that to 3440 x 1440 it drops but still remains over 60fps. As a gamer content with playing stuff on 30fps (please don't kill me), this has been astounding to me. Temperatures didn't rise too much either (about 75-80 Celsius) so no throttling was noticed. However, that does lead me to the first niggle I had with it.

I'm of course talking about the inbuilt sunbed for your right hand. The heat vent.
1024.png

This only applied when I gamed on the laptop proper and not an external monitor but after one hour of gaming, my hand was definitely overheating as one of the main vents leads directly unto my mouse hand.

Unto the second pro that I observed was the sound quality. I'm not a full blown audiophile but I do like my sounds good and this laptop delivered. Very crisp sound with and without headphones.
I did notice static and crinkling when the headphones were plugged in one of the inputs of the sound card but I haven't figured out why it's happening and how to fix it yet. It isn't the main headphone in so not a dealbreaker, think it might just be me not knowing how to use this fellow.

Finally, one of the big pro's is the cooler boost tech. Sure it can reduce temperatures really quickly but it's true functionality, that is to clear out a Starbucks or annoy my wife, has been completely dependable. That said it is a bit, ehhm...

So overall, great build quality and a truly enjoyable machine to use if with a few odd design choices.

Product Page: https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GT73EVR-7RE-Titan.html (I think, there's, like, 50 different configurations).

Back
Top Bottom