Msi gt73vr

Man of Honour
There are two different 1080 models. The slim model with a slightly higher spec looks like it will suit my requirements. But how will it cope with the heat? I'm guessing the bulk of the other model is due to the cooling but who knows? Has anyone got one of the thinner laptops?

Man of Honour
OP
Hmm Overclockers staff haven't been particularly helpful in this case. They say for more information I really need to speak to MSI.

From my research it would appear that both the laptops are the same, only one has more RAM and a larger SSD. Would that be correct?

LT-249-MS

LT-24Q-MS

Man of Honour
OP
Did you get it from here? Support told me that they have 'exclusive' variants.

This is the email I received:

"Thank you for your webnote.
From what our suppliers have told us, these will have a BD writer.

If you have any other questions, please let us know."

Man of Honour
OP
I am absolutely positive the MSI is the way to go. I'll await my replacement. I realised when inspecting my one (for the ten minutes or so I had it) that it is considerably lighter than the Asus ROG it replaces. This is a good thing, in my opinion, but it also points towards a lighter build quality. I can see why it has no optical drive though, pretty obvious when you see how the heat pipes have to work round that 1080. It must generate oodles of heat. Hope it isn't too noisy but going by the above it should be okay.

From what I'm aware the new Asus doesn't support Thunderbolt, or does it?

Man of Honour
OP
Hello Loki!

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...-intel-i7-6820hk-gaming-laptop-lt-249-ms.html

This is the one. As you can see from the advert OCuk are using the wrong placeholders and specify a Bluray writer (which was one of the reasons why I bought it). I was disappointed there is no ODD at all but I can understand why.

I appreciate you get DOA's and laptops that will break but I was disappointed to be on the receiving end of one :(

Man of Honour
OP
Right I've received my replacement. This time it works, well sort of! I've been suffering a LOT of crashes using Football Manager 16. Apparently my unit is overheating, but I can't be sure.

I'm running speedfan here, and I've told it to control the fans. Whilst I have been typing this the temps have reduced quite nicely. GPU is just 44 and HD is 40. The cpu varies massively though, and although it is 43-45 at the mo, I've seen it as high at 70.

But in FM they ramp up skyward. I've had some real nasty crashes which cause the machine to reboot. I've had a corrupted game file as a result. This is not really what I expected, but I can't be sure what is causing this. What's the operational temps for these machines?

Man of Honour
OP
Try running Aida64 and monitoring the CPU temps and if it throttles. If you run the cpu and GPU test at the same time you might find it throttling the CPU. It's common on laptops but should not really happen. Run the check and monitor the CPU and GPU temps. Aida will tell you if it throttles at all.

https://www.aida64.com/products/aida64-engineer

I downloaded this, but because it is a trial version it isn't overly useful. I'm not inclined to buy the full product as I am pretty sure this laptop is going back.

I also downloaded FurMark and the 1920x1080 test bombed at 72 degrees. The machine then reset itself out of frustration. I'm guessing the gpu overheated in some shape or form, and this is what I'm experiencing. I would be very interested to know how the other owners are getting on with theirs? I mean, I really want to like the laptop, and I really don't want to send this one back. But I may not have any choice :( I'm pretty gutted right now. Am I just extremely unlucky? Surely these should cope with the heat?

Back
Top Bottom