• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSI GTX 1080 Aero OC vs Nvidia 1080 FE. Which is better?

Associate
Hi All,

Recieved some cast away GPUs, i alreday have a MSI GTX 1070 Aero in my system but lucked out and now have MSI GTX 1080 Aero OC & Nvidia 1080 FE cards.
i'd like to know what is best between the two. No doubt the 1080 are a little better than the 1070, i have installed the FE this morning and its quite a bit smoother when gaming but also quite a bit louder than the 1070 at idle, which i am not a fan of.
Would the MSI 1080 be a better option due to having better cooling than the FE? what the Pros and cons? if its not that much no worries at all.

Thanks for your help as ever!

P

Last edited:
I would have thought all 3 cards would be similar in terms of noise, with the 1080 performing better obviously.
I think you're just going to have to try them to find out for yourself what they're like in reality.

1080 is quite a lot faster than a 1070, so I definitely wouldn't use the 1070 unless you have to.

I think in TPU's review of the FE they said that it doesn't have fan stop, so that might be why it is louder at idle.

Blower cards are normally noisy at full load, but if the MSI Aero 1080 is better than the FE, I don't know.

1080 is quite a lot faster than a 1070, so I definitely wouldn't use the 1070 unless you have to.

I think in TPU's review of the FE they said that it doesn't have fan stop, so that might be why it is louder at idle.

Blower cards are normally noisy at full load, but if the MSI Aero 1080 is better than the FE, I don't know.
yeah unfortuantly i would have liked a tripple fan card but beggers cant be choosers as they say, none were avalible. i really dont like blower cards at all due to the noise. i am going to try the MSI 1080 in a moment and i'll see if it quieter. in the new year i am building a new systen with a 50 series card hopfully, pointless buying now.

Can confirm the MSI card is much quieter. maybe slightly less fps in games but not by much. webpages seem to load much quicker as well compared to the FE, the FE seemed to have an inital hang for some reason. intresting observation.

Just to make sure I'm thinking of the right cards all 3 are blower type, right? The 1080 FE should have been the best out of the 3 as it has a vapour chamber cooler compared to just a normal heatsink on the AERO cards. Given it's age the thermal paste is probably not in good condition or at some point in its life its has been repasted and that has since gone bad.

An undervolt will also help you. Either to sustain higher clocks for the same fan speed or enable you to drop the fan speed for better noise levels.

Just to make sure I'm thinking of the right cards all 3 are blower type, right? The 1080 FE should have been the best out of the 3 as it has a vapour chamber cooler compared to just a normal heatsink on the AERO cards. Given it's age the thermal paste is probably not in good condition or at some point in its life its has been repasted and that has since gone bad.

An undervolt will also help you. Either to sustain higher clocks for the same fan speed or enable you to drop the fan speed for better noise levels.
Yes all 3 are blower cards

@Finners whats the best method to undervolt MSI Afterburner?

This video explains the process, Your voltages and clock speed will be different of course but the process is the same

I can't reiterate enough its best to drop the voltage slowly and test fully. As the video explains, you should monitor where you clocks and voltage settle currently when gaming at full load and work from there.

I'd also recommend un-ticking the start with windows option in afterburner when you first start messing with under/overcloking in case you go to low and its unstable the settings wont persist after a reboot so you can start from fresh each time until your confident its stable.

Back
Top Bottom