• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSI GTX970 and Nvidia Drivers problem

....if you look under the Fan Speed (RPM) you will see red blips every thirty seconds or so which shows that both the cooling fans spin up to around 800rpm for a few seconds and then stops. Checking with the case cover off and it confirms the stopping and starting of the fans. This will repeat forever, or so it seems.

This did not happen with the previous 344.16 drivers and going back to them gives me this...

I notice that the idle temp is higher with 344.16, could it be that with 344.48 the fans are periodically spinning up because it has a lower target temp or something? maybe a conflict with afterburner/etc custom profiles or something? /shrug.

Try 344.60.

Maybe with Nvidia picking up on this issue something might be done.....

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...0-fan-problems-with-gtx-980-msi-gaming-help-/

ManuelG said
Let me look into this. I know its not a reference design but could someone share their VBIOS ROM for their MSI GeForce GTX 970 GPU by extracting it using GPU-Z or any other utility and then email it to [email protected]? Include a description of the issue so I know what it is in reference to or simply a link back to this thread. Thanks.

344.60 are just the same and the fans are meant to be at zero until the temp gets to 60c, IIRC

Last edited:
Maybe with Nvidia picking up on this issue something might be done.....

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...0-fan-problems-with-gtx-980-msi-gaming-help-/

344.60 are just the same and the fans are meant to be at zero until the temp gets to 60c, IIRC
Nice one Vimes, I've made a post on that very thread you just posted, hopefully Nvidia will sort this out with MSI.

Also sent my BIOS along with details of issue to driverfeedback email address.

Model: MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G

Manufacturers Code: 912-V316-001

BIOS: NV316MH.126

Just to note this issue does not occur on 344.16 driver.

Problem on driver 344.48 and 344.60

Nice one Vimes, I've made a post on that very thread you just posted, hopefully Nvidia will sort this out with MSI.

Also sent my BIOS along with details of issue to driverfeedback email address.

Model: MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G

Manufacturers Code: 912-V316-001

BIOS: NV316MH.126

Just to note this issue does not occur on 344.16 driver.

Problem on driver 344.48 and 344.60

No problem, it i letting the appropriate people know and the nwe might have a chance of a resolve.

The Nvidia rep replied...

This looks to be a VBIOS issue. MSI already has a fixed VBIOS that corrects this problem. Can those with MSI 970/980 cards please check if a new VBIOS is available to you through their Live Update software?

http://download.msi.com/uti_exe/LiveUpdate.zip

If not, please contact MSI and find out if they can provide you with the fixed VBIOS. If they are not aware of this, lmk and I will check with our product manager to see what the status of the VBIOS is. Thanks.
but it does not work as it already detects that my card has BIOS version 126 (updated from 125) and the 180 BIOS is for cards with the Hynix memory and not the Samsung type.
So no BIOS update.

I have replied and let him know in that thread.

NVidia have since replied to my post....

ManuelG:
Thanks. Let me look into this and get back to everyone in this thread.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I like the idea of thousands of customers flashing there bios, myself included. When simply using another driver resolves the problem. Wouldn't it therefore be logical that the problem can be fixed driver side.

Just noticed I have the same problem. Really fed up with MSI. Never again.
And this was just posted on the official MSI forum (regarding the other issue of the fan not even turning on):
Enough of flaming on MSI
>>Please read and comply with the Forum Rules.<<

If you have an issue mentioned in this topic with your 970 or 980, RMA it.

If you can't understand that MSI is unable (or was) to reproduce the issue, then we can't do anything about it. Also note that MSI has lots of different things to do, not just fixing 970 fan issue.

Any updates will be posted by Mods/Admins here.

Unbelievable.

Anyway instead of rolling back I've set a custom curve with them always spinning @30%

Last edited:
A bit extreme, maybe, but I decided to modify the BIOS on my 970 and flash that so now I can use the latest drivers with no fan polling etc...

http://files.upit.me/1415533618.gif

....hopefully MSI / Nvidia will come up with an official resolve but it the meantime this seems to be fine for me.

A little unnerving doing it but it seems to be fine.

Last edited:
New Nvidia drivers 344.65 WHQL out today.

They do not fix the MSi fan issue. Still waiting on a response from MSI but I doubt we will get anything as MSI have appaling customer support.

I think I will return my MSi and get a Gigabyte.

Back
Top Bottom