MSI MAX motherboards 32Mb ROM

Associate
Hi does anyone know some rumors or dates when these cards will be released?
List of Max models:

Chipset Motherboard
A320 A320M-A PRO MAX
B450 B450M-A PRO MAX
B450M PRO-VDH MAX
B450 GAMING PLUS MAX
B450M PRO-M2 MAX
B450M MORTAR MAX
B450 TOMAHAWK MAX
B450-A PRO MAX
X470 X470 GAMING PRO MAX
X470 GAMING PLUS MAX

Associate
OP
b450 Tomahawk MAX preorder available on one UK eshop, price £100.76, earliest guaranteed delivery on 27th July. So soon will be here ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
@Gibbo

Are you expecting to sell the MSI B450 Tomahawk Max? It has popped up on preorder on a few other websites, I would prefer to order most/all of my kit from here if price comparable.

Soldato
Bit annoying, just got my tomahawk! Wonder if it's worth waiting for this to release instead.. hmm
I would not be too concerned about waiting for or getting the MAX. If both boards are available and at the same price then may as well get the MAX but realise that the only difference is the large bios chips which basically only allows all older CPU's (which most people don't have) to be supported as the same time as new chips.

If you're getting a new Ryzen CPU then just get which ever board is available and cheapest as they will behave exactly the same way.

Soldato
I would not be too concerned about waiting for or getting the MAX. If both boards are available and at the same price then may as well get the MAX but realise that the only difference is the large bios chips which basically only allows all older CPU's (which most people don't have) to be supported as the same time as new chips.

If you're getting a new Ryzen CPU then just get which ever board is available and cheapest as they will behave exactly the same way.

Taken from Reddit:

"If you just bought any B450 Board, you should return it and buy a MAX board instead. Its more "futureproof" for upcoming BIOS updates and its no hassle with Ryzen 3000 Series. (Official statement on livestream from MSI, wow.) Timestamp on stream: 1:40:29, you can watch it here -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_elcRHeVjI

Associate
OP
I would not be too concerned about waiting for or getting the MAX...
check this out from todays official MSI livestream:
"If you just bought any B450 Board, you should return it and buy a MAX board instead. Its more "futureproof" for upcoming BIOS updates and its no hassle with Ryzen 3000 Series. (Official statement on livestream from MSI, wow.) Timestamp on stream: 1:40:29, you can watch it here -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_elcRHeVjI

Full live stream conlusion:
https://www.reddit.com/r/MSI_Gaming/comments/ch9qud/msi_livestream_conclusion/

Associate
"MSI livestream: If you just bought any B450 Board, you should return it and buy a MAX board instead."
giphy.gif

Soldato
Except the non Max version will have the GSE-Lite bios and at the time of writing may or may not actually work with a 3rd gen Ryzen CPU.
MSI can guarantee that the MAX will be no hassle if they know what the problem is and have released a BIOS fix for it. They haven't. To me this delaying obfuscation while they work out exactly what the issue is. Here is a post from that same reddit thread.
I had my first 3600 in my b450 gaming pro carbon. It worked flawlessly on both bioses. Never any failed posts. Could set the ram to xmp and even OC it to 3600CL16

I just bought a second 3600, primarily because my first one was getting really poor boosts. This second chip is only posting 20% of the time. I also cant set the ram to xmp. The kicker is, this chip hits 4.2 ghz all day and does way better on benchmarks.

Edit: same mobo, same ram, same everything.

This indicates to me the issue is more complex than they are letting on and saying the MAX boards will work without hassle means the non-MAX boards can work without hassle as they are identical apart from the bios size. The MAX boards will likely cost more which is why it suits MSI to say this.

Soldato
This indicates to me the issue is more complex than they are letting on and saying the MAX boards will work without hassle means the non-MAX boards can work without hassle as they are identical apart from the bios size.
That above Pro Carbon results are disconcerting - but hopefully it's a result of a developing BIOS - rushed execution - to get a viable release that will appease the masses. Clearly, it's back firing with a lot of users (percentage will be user error) - but in theory they should have the physical space to resolve this, with a 16MB eeprom (streamlined GUI). But, makes sense to wait rather than BETA test a buggy BIOS...

The MAX boards will likely cost more which is why it suits MSI to say this.
The pre-orders are ~£99 - so it looks like MSI are perhaps trying to redeem themselves with price, given their issues - bad publicity...

Back
Top Bottom