MSI MPG 341CQPX QD-OLED - image not centred on screen? (and now some feedback)

Associate
Bit random and hard to show in a photo but now I've noticed it I can't unsee it lol!

The 3440x1440 image is not centred on the screen! There is a bigger black border on the right side compared to the left. Probably only 2mm but it's noticeable and annoying me - is this kind of thing "normal"?

Also would you be connecting to PC using HDMI or Displayport cable? Previously I always used Display port but just double checking what is best now.

Also is it possible to replace the stand with something else? This screen on this doesn't go down as low on my desk my old Predator X34 - which was ideal for my sim racing.

Last edited:
IMG_20240914_190146.jpg

Yeh I'm aware of the pixel shift, I've seen that happen a few times and wondered if that was it but no the black border on right is always just a bit bigger than left lol.

Another weird one is when the VRR (G Sync) is enabled most of the panel protection features (like dimming taskbar, logo dimming etc) are greyed out and can't be enabled more lol

Here's a better image taken in daylight so you can see the digital border is much bigger on the left - and always stays like this even with pixel shift on. Looks a bit naff to be honest.

border.jpg

Ok longer testing today the "pixel shift" feature is indeed the cause - and as pointed out can't be disabled.

Anyway I assume my monitor is functioning normally, just not something that's ever been a thing on my previous displays. Obviously it's there to try and prevent/minimise burn-in.

Yeh I get what you're saying. The glossy screen is all the way to the edge but when I look closely there is 10mm both sides where image won't display - it's essentially a black border - in which case a think plastic frame would make moving easier and less fingerprint prone. If image was central on the screen there is approx 10 pixels either side and top which the image moves around within (pixel shift) - so sometimes it appears as though there is a bigger border one side.

I'm going to try some gaming tonight and see how that fairs. At the moment, given the cost I'm not seeing a massive jump from my old X34.

Right had a bit of time to get used to this MSI MPG 341CQPX QD-OLED 34" ultra-wide monitor, thought I'd give a little bit of feedback as might be others interested in this kind of screen.

I'm coming from a 9 year old Acer Predator X34 100Hz IPS so bear that in mind as it's my reference point. I do a bit of gaming, mostly racing games (Assetto Corsa, ACC, Dirt, rF2) but also some FPS. I also photo/video editing using Photoshop CC and DaVinci Resolve as well as general web browsing.

Updated the firmware as soon as I got it which was easy enough. Overall it's very nice, colours certainly pop - too much to be honest. I'm connected using HDMI to my 4090. Using the "User" setting to ease back the colour temps a bit especially red which in my eyes was far too dominant. In HDR mode (Win+Alt+B) which I use for some games I'm using the "Display P3" setting, which to see seems most natural/accurate. It's easy to adjust the monitor settings with a multi-way button on back of the screen.

240Hz is clearly smoother than 100Hz I was used to in gaming - but I don't feel like it's a MASSIVE difference, maybe that's just me. With all the graphics goodies turned on I can't get near this FPS though in most games, but the freesync/G-sync seems to work well to avoid tearing - although settings vary per game. I have set an FPS cap in Nvidia control panel to 237fps as older games like Assetto Corsa I can max out.

The packaging of the monitor was good, screen itself has a plastic protective film on which was satisfying to remove.

The screen itself is glossy finish and very reflective. On a bright day the reflection/glare is certainly more noticeable than my old IPS screen which had a matt finish. I can see in summer needing to bump the brightness up which is currently set at 50. The sharpness and text clarity is decent and certainly no worse than X34, I can't see the purple fringing people mention. I'm already used to ultra-wide but I remember coming from a 24" 16:9 it was such an improvement, the extra width is great for racing games and also photoshop work as I have tools and actions down each side.

The curve is noticeable but quite subtle - about right I would say.

Compared to my old X34 there is no big power brick, just a normal lead which makes cable management easier.

There is a bit of coil whine when I put my ear up to the back of the screen but not noticeable for me at viewing distance.

There's a black border around the sides and top of screen as mentioned earlier, personally I'd just prefer a thin plastic bezel, would make handling/moving the screen easier. I slide mine around on the desk as I have a steering wheel pedal setup for racing games. I've stuck some cut to size soft felt pads on the bottom of the stand which makes sliding it around easy.

The stand itself is solid but quite bulky - means the screen itself is quite far forward off the wall. Can be a problem with shallow desks. My old X34 was fairly similar in this regard, although the screen on X34 would adjust lower on the stand which I preferred.

Pixel shift takes a bit of getting used to and the panel refresh thing is what it is. Time will tell regarding screen burn in, I'm not going to pussy around too much but have set screensaver and monitor to go into standby when there is inactivity.

Overall I'm happy, but perhaps I could have stayed with my old X34 for longer, that still performs well. There is a 175Hz version of this monitor (MSI MAG 341CQP QD-OLED) which I was considering as it's £200-£250 cheaper. If the panel is the same then that's certainly a better deal. I don't see much difference between 175Hz and 240Hz (probably some people lol at that) and for what you get I think that's a good deal, especially if upgrading from a 24/27" 16:9 or older display.

Maybe this helps someone at some point. cheers

Thanks for this, I'm thinking of getting the CQP, as I don't think the Alienware is worth the extra, and I prefer the MSI to the Gigabyte's, which are also more expensive. I came to the same conclusion you have re: the CQPX, the 240HZ is probably not worth another £200, as an AMD user I like that both comes with AMD Freesync Premium Pro.

I game in the dark, so I think glossy panel sounds like it would be ideal for me. I'm currently on a 32" 4K IPS, and tbh I don't think the resolution is worth the FPS hit, definitely not when put against a 1440p UW OLED, and all those advantages it has. That's my feeling right now anway.

No worries. Yeh that's my view 175Hz is plenty and save the £250.00. If you are gaming in dark then no issues for you ref the glossy screen. Perhaps if you're used to 32" 4K then the sharpness/clarity might not be as good because pixel density is less on the 34" ultra-wides. I'm happy with what I see, but I've not used a 4k 32" so sadly can't offer comparison in that regard.

Good write up @Az_GTi. Would it be fair to say that you're slightly underwhelmed with the MSI? Like @Apex I'm considering both the MPG and the MAG versions but worried that moving from my existing 34" UW (non OLED) screen to either will be a somewhat sideways move.

How do you find the text clarity coming from the IPS panel? How annoying/impractical is the stand (it gets a lot of hate in the reviews)? Is the 200 pounds difference in the models worth it?

cheers.

Cheers. I wouldn't say underwhelmed, it's just I knew what to expect with OLED as I got a Samsung S90C TV end of last year and that had a wow factor compared to my 10 year old screen. I didn't get such a wow factor replacing my Acer X34, but the colours are certainly nice and extra Hz for smoother gaming is welcome. Knowing what I know now with real world hands on experience I would buy the MAG version and save the £200-£250. Frankly I don't see a difference between 175Hz and 240Hz and the 98W USB-C doesn't really matter to me. But both of those things might be important for you.

I find text clarity fine and same as my old X34, certainly no worse. Browsing is comfortable for me, but I expect a 32" 4K would be better due to extra pixel density. Probably if I was more patient should've just waited until higher resolution 34/38" ultra-wides come to market - must be on radar soon. I just get fed up of waiting and never actually getting and enjoying as there is always something else around the corner.

Yeh the base is chunky but doesn't offend me. Very similar to the X34 I was used to. Personally for my use I like the wide spread legs as I can position the screen close up behind my gaming wheel for racing games.

Back
Top Bottom