MSI Neo2 dont like large HDs?

Soldato
The MSI Neo2 does not seem to like large HDs.

I have been running it with the following :-
80GB Hitachi as C: and F: ( SATA 1 )
A Pair of 200GB WD SATA Drives on an SIL3112A Card.

Running peachy

I added a 250GB Seagate on SATA 2

Now, when it boots cold, its fine.

When I restart the PC, it hangs

If I am displaying the Platinum boot screen, it will stay there.

If I dont display it, it will hang on either looking for the HDs, or if it gets past that, it will hang just before it shows the windows loading logo.

I did originally assume that the BIOS needs an update, but 1C has not helped at all, and I have managed to get round this, by simply telling the BIOS to ignore the 250GB Drive and windows itself runs it instead!

Soldato
do you mean k8n neo2 plat.??
If so, do you have a jumper on your hdd , to set it @ sata 150mb speed, the mobo doesnt have sata 300mb (should be backwards compatible, but maybe some jumper??)...

Soldato
OP
Ok, I forgot all about the Jumpers actually.

I just had a play with the HD and I think its the HD thats the problem, not the BIOS / Motherboard, or the jumpers.

I have tried to use the HD in a DFI LP250UT and while it starts up perfectly fine, when I copy files over from or to it, it suddenly shuts the PC down.

Oooookkkkaaaayyyy!

So, I tried it on a few of my Mobos, they are mostly NF3 and they all did the same...

1 - Booted cold just fine
2 - Randomly seemed to allow or disallow a warm boot.
3 - Copied just fine for about 10-15 seconds then switched off the PC??

Weird.

If I just grab small chunks of files, and copy those then do more, and then more etc, its just fine, but a load will stop the PC.

TEMP?

The HD is a tad warm yes... Too warm? Maybe, but I have had hotter drives running fine.

Next option is one of two things...

First, I am going to try it in a NON-NForce Mobo. I have acouple of VIA Boards here, so I will knock up a system to try it.

I will also try a fresh install in a case that has no cooling... See where I go on that.... If it seems fine, then I will use it for one of the kids, but if it fails, I will RMA it.

Cant think of anythign else really.

Wotn be too happy if its the HD cos this would be the first out of about 40 Seagate HDs thats failed on me... Its usually WD drives that die for me.

Back
Top Bottom