MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio GPU

Soldato
hey guys,

quick question.

on MSI afterburner there are two fan profiles? Fan 1 and Fan 2. They spool up independantly but all 3 fans are working..??

Is there an issue or is this the norm for them?

HRL

HRL

Soldato
hey guys,

quick question.

on MSI afterburner there are two fan profiles? Fan 1 and Fan 2. They spool up independantly but all 3 fans are working..??

Is there an issue or is this the norm for them?

I don't use Afterburner but it's the same two profiles on Zotac Firestorm. I've always assumed it's so that you can have two separate profiles set up for the fans, rather than separate fan control. E.g. One profile for day to day usage and another profile for extreme benchmarking with higher fan speeds.

Easier to switch profiles than have to keep modifying fan curves each time you want to game or benchmark.

Soldato
OP
Sorted out the fan profile. Now..new question :D

My GPU was on the 0% fan profile, I believe that it is designed to kick-in around 60c..

My issue is that its SUPER SUPER HOT in my living room all the time! It idles around the mid 40's until the fans kick-in under heavy load / usage.

I have changed the profile to have it on a mere 15% fan speed, and it now idles around 34-36c with that set, and has brought my CPU down a few degrees (although thats fine under light load work anyway!)

Now, is that OK to leave on? It wont danage the GPU or that, considering it has the 0% fan profile thing stock, and now its running at 15%???

Cheers guys!

Soldato
My GPU has the zero fan capability.

I changed the settings to have the fans on low at idle, but soon changed it back to zero at idle but with a more aggressive workload profile, with fans kicking in at 50c rather than 60c, and a plus 10% to C after that.

My reasoning was that fans can wear out on a GPU, and the card is designed to run at zero at idle so my prrofile reduces that potential wear.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
My GPU has the zero fan capability.

I changed the settings to have the fans on low at idle, but soon changed it back to zero at idle but with a more aggressive workload profile, with fans kicking in at 50c rather than 60c, and a plus 10 rpm to C after that.

My reasoning was that fans can wear out on a GPU, and the card is designed to run at zero at idle so my prrofile reduces that potential wear.

So is that OK to turn them off even when idiling at mid-high 40's when the fans are off?

Soldato
OP
Works for me.

I edited my other post to indicate I use plus 10% with my profile, ie when the fans kick in at 50c they will run at 60% and when at 60c, 70% and so on.

Mine is slightly different, but seemed to have found a sweet spot..

when the GPU is vitually maxed out, the fan curve settles at 60-62c for 60% fan speed. Its still real quiet at that too!

Soldato
I know they say 60c is safe for all the time but I prefer 35-45c unless under heavy load. Being cooler definitely will not hurt anything, but being hot might. ;)

Soldato
I know they say 60c is safe for all the time but I prefer 35-45c unless under heavy load. Being cooler definitely will not hurt anything, but being hot might. ;)
I agree with this - 60 is fine but for literally idle, I'd be uncomfortable with it being 55+ for the entire time my PC is on. There are other components to consider like VRMs which may be neglected without some basic airflow.

I always figured minimum fan speed had huge benefits over stopped. After all that's how every fan in a PC has historically behaved.

Soldato
OP
Changed my settings guys.

I have set my fan speed for a % of 15 until it reaches 50c.

Reason behind this is that the slight cooler temp on the GPU has put my CPU down a couple too.

Just thought I would throw that out there! :D

Soldato
OP
Quick one guys..

With my new settings , in a AAA game (Wildlands) after a long sesh of it in a 25.5c room :eek:

My ultimate peak temps were, GPU - 64c and the CPU - 68c..they OK for a few hours at a time right??

Back
Top Bottom