MSI Tomahawk Max - Really slow POST

Soldato
I've just built up my new PC and everything is working ok apart from it takes ages to POST, literally over a minute. It just seems to sit there while I watch the "No HDMI source connected screen"

MSI Tomahawk Max motherboard
Ryzen 3600
32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT Red 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200
NVidia 1050Ti GFX card
Corsair MP510 480 GB NVMe
4TB Samsung 860 SSD
4TB WD Black HD
4TB WD Blue HD
650W Seasonic FOCUS Plus Platinum PSU

All I've done in the BIOS is to set optimised defaults, disable all boot devices apart from the NVMe and turned on XMP2. I've tried disconnecting the extra hard drives etc but still the same slow POST
This is my first Ryzen build, is there something obvious that I'm missing?

Associate
Try a bare bones install with the minimum number of things connected eg 1 drive only,, differ drive, no drive etc, board not like something.
Try clear CMOS.

Associate
I watched a video (I think it was from Jayz2Cents) that said with Ryzen when you first boot it takes ages to post.

Does the same problem show up after windows is installed and no bios setting have been changed for a few reboots?

Which slot is the RAM dim installed in on the bare bones config? Is it running at default in the bare bones setup?

Soldato
I've just built up my new PC and everything is working ok apart from it takes ages to POST, literally over a minute. It just seems to sit there while I watch the "No HDMI source connected screen"

MSI Tomahawk Max motherboard
Ryzen 3600
32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT Red 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200
NVidia 1050Ti GFX card
Corsair MP510 480 GB NVMe
4TB Samsung 860 SSD
4TB WD Black HD
4TB WD Blue HD
650W Seasonic FOCUS Plus Platinum PSU

All I've done in the BIOS is to set optimised defaults, disable all boot devices apart from the NVMe and turned on XMP2. I've tried disconnecting the extra hard drives etc but still the same slow POST
This is my first Ryzen build, is there something obvious that I'm missing?

Anything like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y201I3y8VKg&t

If it is, read the comments, its not just MSI having this problem.

Soldato
i checked mine: takes 19s to show "gaming arsenal" picture, 26s to load windows sign up page.

Similar boot up time being reported across ryzen 3 builds.

20sec to post, 20 sec to get to windows. around 40 sec total.

Tips are to switch to UEFI (from CSM), turn off logo at post but still 20 sec to post and then 20 sec to windows. Ryzen 3 just seems to be slow on boot times. Some people speculate its to do with memory training but I am not savvy enough to comment on that.

Associate
I mean 26s total to load windows, i think its not bad, i use single samsung evo 860 500gb ssd, no hdd or m2

Except that it's taking 40 seconds to actually get into Windows desktop..

Even my lowly old tablet - dual-core i5 - Surface Pro takes only 28 seconds.

Soldato
Sandy Bridge i5 2500, Asrock P67 ITX board, 8GB 1600MHz RAM, 500GB Samsung 840 SSD and I go from power on to Windows 10 login screen in 8-10 seconds. I'd lose my ***t if my Ryzen 3000 build took 40 seconds to do anything.

Soldato
To MSI Tech Support Ticket

VERY SLOW POST

I am finding, along with quite a few others that this motherboard is taking approx 20 second or more just to post, you can see my video here of how long it takes to post.

https://youtu.be/Y201I3y8VKg

I am using 3 x Samsung Evo plus 250gb nvme is raid0 also I have the bios set to uefi mode, ram is tested and running stable, apart from the slow post it's running great.

Please fix as soon as possible if it's not already being worked on.

Their Reply

Dear Sir,

Thanks for contacting MSI technical support.

Regarding your concern, sorry for any inconvenience caused, we have reflect to the relevant department, we will continue to update the BIOS, please update the new bios in the future for a try. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Thanks for your cooperation in advance!

Best Regards,

MSI Technical Support Team

Back
Top Bottom