MSI Wind re-badged alternative :)

Associate
Picked up one of these on Saturday, great little piece of kit.
Updated the BIOS using a bootable USB drive with no issues, and it found my wireless network straight away.

I had to try a game of course, it plays LFS at about 20fps but may struggle with more cars on the grid due to the extra physics.

Youtube (Taken with phone in one hand, driving with the other :o)

GarethDW - Bearing in mind the brand, you should be able to tell where it comes from ;)

Soldato
OP
Picked up one of these on Saturday, great little piece of kit.
Updated the BIOS using a bootable USB drive with no issues, and it found my wireless network straight away.

I had to try a game of course, it plays LFS at about 20fps but may struggle with more cars on the grid due to the extra physics.

Youtube (Taken with phone in one hand, driving with the other :o)

GarethDW - Bearing in mind the brand, you should be able to tell where it comes from ;)

Is there a bios update? whats it fix? and I saw you vid last night looked pretty neat

Associate
BIOS 1.05 update for Netbook computers based on the Wind chassis. This update provides the following improvements to performance and functionality:

* Fixes the issues of the Netbook turning off during the BIOS splash screen if the power button is held down for more than 2 seconds.
* Fixes the issue of Windows Media Player visualisations failing to load when playing MP3s on mains power.
* Improves the detection of USB devices.

I suppose linking to the official site to get it would be classed as a competitor here ?

Associate
Ok have had my little advent for 5 days know and I absolutely love it,
have got it dual booting xp and another os from a certain fruit company
and it rocks!.
If anyone out there is looking for a nice notebook sleeve to keep it in
I would highly recommend these:
http://wrappers.typepad.com/ipod/10-inch-msi-wind-advent-4211-sleeves/index.html

got mine today and I'm seriously impressed by the quality, I know I'm
probably not supposed to post that link here but I have checked around the
overclockers store (very regular customer) and cannot find anything similar.

Anyway one last question, what stickers are you all planning on using
to cover up the nasty advent logo? I need some inspiration!?.
Was thinking about starting a new thread just about this subject.

Soldato
The Advent 4211 do look seriously quite nice, was having a little look at one that was setting up for a customer today, was very tempting, as once I've installed software on it, I might actually do some study on it, compared to my fulltime laptop with a good graphics chip which always tempts me to play games, the demon! Yes the processor isnt amazingly fast, but given how cheap RAM and HDs can be got for today, the machine is suprisingly nippy for a little xp machine very tempting to pick one up for £250 staff rate :) (given I can see when they come in, sometimes before they're written onto the system, I have a slight stock availability advantage)
Also, the BIOS, Battery etc interchangability with the MSI Wind also means there's/will a wider availabilty of help and parts if needed :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I work for the shop that sells these - and they are pretty awesome! Reasonably fast aswell which suprised me!

For the price you cannot go wrong - fantastic little rebadged msi winds :)

Soldato
I'm torn between this with its bigger keyboard and the EEE 900 with its better trackpad (multitouch, yay!). I'm planning on mainly using it for the net, and think that multitouch may be more help to me...

Soldato
OP
One of the cpu itself ;)

atom.jpg

Soldato
Grabbed one of these from work today, literally nabbed it off the truck when it arrived lol, theyre not easy to come across at the moment!

Just putting hardy heron on it now, impressing me so far feels great and a bargain at £250. Hopefully i will actually do some uni work on it unlike my macbook pro which i just used at uni to play games and abuse their ludicrously fast internet connection.

Pics to follow.

Soldato
OP

id rather be told some advantages first if any (which i doubt) apart from it being free, this thing is pretty good with xp, ive got office installed which works perfectly, and the original HL flys, if its just an anti ms thing im not interested in the slightest, but if someone can say or prove its better than xp home sp3 that comes with it im open eard

Back
Top Bottom