MSI X470 GAMING PRO AM4 dead?

Associate
I got an MSI X470 GAMING PRO AM4 DDR4 ATX Motherboard but it won't boot, no light nothing, I've removed it from the case, leaving only CPU and board power 7 CPU power, still no lights, I've confirmed the old mother board (this is an upgrade still shows a power light when connecting int he same way, (and the PSU is less than 6 months old) , any other things to try?
it's a new Ryzen 2600 so could it be the CPU? surely I'd see some lights on the board?

Can't believe my luck, was so excited to get this going today.

Soldato
I'd expect something to be seen on the board if the board were working and if the CPU were at fault.

Does the board show any sign of life?

Associate
OP
Are you able to hook everything back up to the old motherboard to rule out any problems with other components?
I tested the old mother board out of the case also, with just the same two power cables, CPU and motherboard power connectors, and thats shows a power light so I know the PSU is ok, the only caveat here is the MSI has an additional 4 way CPU power connector , but as many other say this isn't needed and isn't a common lead on a PSU.

Associate
I tested the old mother board out of the case also, with just the same two power cables, CPU and motherboard power connectors, and thats shows a power light so I know the PSU is ok, the only caveat here is the MSI has an additional 4 way CPU power connector , but as many other say this isn't needed and isn't a common lead on a PSU.
But did you manage to get into the BIOS with the old motherboard and all the other components attached? Then we can rule out any problems with all of that hardware.

Associate
OP
But did you manage to get into the BIOS with the old motherboard and all the other components attached? Then we can rule out any problems with all of that hardware.
There is no other hardware connected, just CPU & memory, I can't test the CPU as moving from Intel to AMD and I'm pretty sure there should be diagnostics LED's if there was a memory or CPU problem, shouldn't there? I tested with & without memory, I can't think of anything else to do. It should at least show a power light shouldn't it?

Soldato
AFAIK, the 8 pin is required and the 4 pin is there if the CPU requires extra power, like overclocking.

I assume that applies to all motherboards with 8 and 4 pin ATX power connectors, but I don't know for sure.

Looking at the manual, I can see MSI has EZ debug LEDs mentioned in the specs under special features; but there doesn't seem to be any detailed information about them. Looking at a high resolution picture of the board, I can see 'EZ Debug LED' printed right next to the 24 pin ATX connector, so they must be there somewhere.

As the power supply has come from a working system and the previous motherboard shows signs of power when the PSU is connected to it, it can't be the PSU at fault. The new board should show some signs of life with the CPU and RAM connected to the board.

Looking on MSI's forum; someone explained the first to light up is the CPU LED, which will go off gain if all is good; then the RAM LED and so forth.. Any light that stays on indicates a problem with that particular component.

If nothing is happening at all, then it appears to me at least, that the board must be dead.

Associate
OP
Thanks marksman and everyone else for the replies, appreciate the feedback, just want to make sure I'm not going mad..

Edit: ok I got it to show power whoo hoo...
I tried again with different memory slots, nothing, check the PSU with old board, that shows power, when connected..then looking though the manual online (the spilled one has trouble shooting missing) I noticed it said connect the power switch connector & clear cos via jumper, so I cleared the cmos via jumper and not just he button this time and stretched out of the case the power switch 2 pin connector, connected power - nothing, tried the power switch boom lights everywhere !!whoo hoo.

Ok summary is this - don't assume like me there should be a power LED..
Make sure the power switch is on the right pins, (Im guessing maybe I had it in wrong initially or the CMOS needed resetting)

Now to put it all back in the case & hope it boots..thank you all for helping me to persevere, I had already started an RMA..but wanted to triple check. Been building PC's 20 odd years just goes to show , so easy to miss something obvious.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Glad it's working now.
Thanks for the support.all up & running whoo hoo, just gota get the memory to the right speed..

Any memory experts about? I’ve got some XPG 3600 DDR4 but I can’t get the motherboard to see it at the correct speed, I’ve tried with xamp on & off with manual settings, set the voltage updated the bios tried again, but it just boots several times and goes back to stock speed.

I found the memory is supported, it’s Adata, but says depends on CPU memory controller..
Memory is AC4U360038G17-BR80
DDR 4 3600(17) 8Gx8 CL 17-18-18

I’ve never done the xamp thing before, but not matter what I try I get 1332.5 MHz in Cpu-z, with completely different latency timings.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom