MSI X570 boards fan control + temp sensors

Soldato
@MSIUK Support @MSI-Guru or anyone else who knows:

Hi. Does anyone have a good guide for how to set up fan control on MSI x570 boards? I'm trying to get a sensible noise level (without risking overheating) and struggling to know how to link the fans against the various sensors on offer:

I've got the x570-ACE and it lists various temp sensor options that you can set each fan to respond to, but I can't find a decent guide to which one I should link to which case fan:

CPU (kind of obvious that's the CPU cooler fan)
System (where is this sensor? Is this measuring the case ambient temp, and where is it measured?)
MOS (anyone? main VRM maybe?)
Chipset
PCIe1 (is this sensing feedback from the PCIe card ie the GPU, or just temp of the PCIe itself?)
PCIe3
M2.1

What are sensible temps for the above, and are there any recommended thresholds for where fans need to kick-in to regulate them?

Set-up: Case is Bitfenix shinobi XL with 1x230 front, 1x120 bottom, 1x140 rear and 2x230 top in addition to two 140mm fans on the CPU cooler. (and the built-in fan on what I think is the chipset)

I've linked the CPU fan to CPU temp
The rear exhaust to MOS (on the assumption this is the VRM temp)
My bottom intake I've linked to chipset, though wonder if this should be PCIe1 to respond to GPU rather than the chipset (which I presume is the hub with its own chipset fan built-in)
Front intake fan and two top exhaust fans are currently on system too, but should I change these to PCIe1 and MOS respectively?

It's frustrating that you can't set the lower fan to respond to the worst case of PCIe, chipset and system as that would be easier in some ways.

On my MSI x570 Tomahawk I've linked my 4 PCM case fans all to the system temp, because it sounds quite a nice 'general' one to use. Not very scientific..!

The CPU and GPU (and chipset) all have their own 'personal fan cooling arrangement' so can look after themselves (with cpu and gpu off their own temp sensors of course).

I'm only using air cooling. 2 ingress (front of chassis) 1 at chassis rear, and one at chassis side panel. This side one is the most effective because my GPU (MSI 3090 suprim) blows hot air out towards that side where the case fan there immediately expels it, fastest route out!

I use Be Quiet Silent Wings and Pure Wings in case it matters.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom