MT-125 for short riders?

Associate
Hi guys, I currently have a YBR 125 and still on my learner licence. I did set my heart on the R3 eventually somewhere down the line, but just recently the MT series is really growing on me. I didn't check them out much before but now, I really love the look and style of the bikes. So after a bit of thinking I am debating wether to sell my YBR, get an MT-125 and stay with that for a while instead of rushing my test and going for the R3 (which was my original plan). Question is, the seat height on the MT-125 is an inch an half more than the YBR, and as a short bloke at 5 foot 3/4 on a good day, I am worried it maybe too much for me? Any short riders out their with an MT-125 that can help me out a little? Lol.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Stick with what you have then get something nicer, after you pass.

The only reason to change bikes in the 125 range would be if you resign yourself to never passing.

Associate
OP
I am actually quite scared of doing my test. I do plan on doing it eventually but at my height, I weigh nothing, 140 pounds, I feel i'm going to struggle so much with a big bike.

Caporegime
I've seen girls who weigh as much as a paperclip on massive bikes. You're not holding the weight of the bike, the wheels are. You're only balancing it. Go to a bike showroom and ask if you can sit on a big bike, it's far less daunting than you'd think.

And EVH is right. Don't swap 125s, do your test instead.

Associate
OP
Fair point Diddums. I went to sit on a MT125 this aft, was too big for me, could only just tip toe on both sides lol. So i am thinking of doing my DAS and going for the MT-03? The seat height is the same as my YBR so i know it will be fine although I am going to view one tomorrow to be safe. Can't get anything much bigger than a 300cc yet as I only have a small outhouse to store my bike, and a 600cc in their, just won't fit. Plus I am more than happy to start on a 300cc for a few years then maybe think of upgrading in the future

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Don't spend money on 125's, ride the ybr till you get full licence and spend that money there. You'll never want to touch a 125 after riding a bigger bike, anyone on here will tell you the same... well Apart from @Diddums :p

Soldato
I kept my YBR 125 after buying my 959 Panigale. The Yamaha's my pop-to-the-shops bike. Still fun pottering around on it but fast becomes frustrating keeping up with traffic.
As for the OP, after a few years riding and when you're more confident, you won't need to flat foot both sides. I'm not exactly Peter Crouch when it comes to height but that didn't stop me getting the bike I wanted.

Associate
I kept my YBR 125 after buying my 959 Panigale. The Yamaha's my pop-to-the-shops bike. Still fun pottering around on it but fast becomes frustrating keeping up with traffic.
As for the OP, after a few years riding and when you're more confident, you won't need to flat foot both sides. I'm not exactly Peter Crouch when it comes to height but that didn't stop me getting the bike I wanted.

As said above, one foot flat on the floor is fine once you get used to it. Not all that tall myself and although apprehensive at first I could happily get one foot flat on my gsxr750.
Besides you should stop using your back brake for the last couple of feet so the forks don't dip and you look like am amateur :D

Unless you're doing a stoppie of course :cool:

Soldato
I've been in a couple of pickles. Once when pulling out of a petrol station and there was a dip in the ground as you exit. Went to put my foot down and nothing! Had to twist the throttle and pray! Also, backing it up can be a hassle while on it. Both points MASSIVELY offset just by looking at it in my garage, let alone riding it! :)

Associate
OP
On my YBR i am practising stopping just putting my left foot down. I do most of the time anyway and i know that's what your supposed to do, but the odd time when i stop and lose my balance a little, i put both feet down just to make sure i don't drop it :)

I'm guessing this all comes with practice though. I've only been riding 2 months, but due to the crap weather in Leeds at the moment.....very limited when I can go out for a spin.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
You'll find that using the rear brake at lower speed stabilises the bike better than using front, on bigger bikes you'll crash if you use the front... Just a tip.

Associate
OP
You'll find that using the rear brake at lower speed stabilises the bike better than using front, on bigger bikes you'll crash if you use the front... Just a tip.

Yes i found that out the first time i did my CBT. Going round in circles getting used to feathering the clutch, lost my balance, panicked at the front brake, went flying and broke the clutch lever. Had to wait another week to do my CBT lol. Was gutted at the time but i can laught about it now. Luckily no injuries apart from pride.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Relax your arms and don't hold tight to the handlebars, they're there to steer the bike not hold yourself on. Squeeze the bike with your legs under braking, what else... hmm, oh yeah and the most important look where you want to go. Don't look down...

Associate
OP
Yes since my CBT (the one i passed) I have been out on the road quite a few times practising the basics. Looking where you want to go i always thought what a load of rubbish, but it actually is 100% true. First time i went out on my bike i turned right at a quiet junction but was looking at the kerb on the other side of the road as it was quite a tight turn, and what do you know? The kerb is where i went :D Almost dropped the bike but luckily the YBR 125 is extremely light so managed to keep it up. Since then, not had a problem and feel very confident when I'm on it. I am nervous jumping on to a big bike though. I'm only a little lad so i hope i don't struggle too much.

Associate
OP
Just out of curiosity do you know the rough price of the DAS course? I've phoned a few places near me, one was £699 for 4 days training before MOD 1, the other was £89.00 per 3 hour lesson, like a pay as you go rather than one lump sum and i'm waiting to hear back from the other place. I thought £699 was freaking expensive though.

Soldato
I am nervous jumping on to a big bike though. I'm only a little lad so i hope i don't struggle too much.
Honestly, I remember how intimidating even that YBR 125 felt on my CBT intro lesson. I also remember how vulnerable I felt. But fast forward to my bike test and climbing aboard a CBF600 (you might be on a 500 depending on your age) and it just blew me away.

My one nugget of advice. Shoulder checks AKA lifesavers (which they are!). I failed my Mod2 THREE times due to poor observations. Get into the habit of doing those. Passed my Mod1 first time but bad obs meant me going back for Mod2 4 times and it's not cheap. Not to mention nearly throwing in the towel. The thing is I rode around on my 125 for ages after my CBT and got into my own flow, which was wrong on many fronts!

Associate
OP
Completely agree. I remember just sitting on the bike for the first time and being scared ********, thinking jeez is this really for me, but it was the best feeling in the world just getting my CBT. I can't imagine the feeling when i finally pass my test and get something a little bigger and better.

Yes my CBT instructor did warn me that getting a 125 and learning myself can pick up bad habits. I always do shoulder checks when leaving roundabouts, turning left or right etc, but very rarely when I'm at a stand still at traffic lights. I will get into the habit of this though as i am hopiing to do some training and my test within the next month or 2.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
I'd love a big bike but sadly cancer is quite expensive to deal with :(
Not long ago we found out that my granddad has cancer, due to the location of the tumour they can't remove it... Stay positive, it might not be easy. But will power has proved doctors wrong many times.

Completely agree. I remember just sitting on the bike for the first time and being scared ********, thinking jeez is this really for me, but it was the best feeling in the world just getting my CBT. I can't imagine the feeling when i finally pass my test and get something a little bigger and better.
Don't go on rideouts straight away, ride alone or with a friend you trust not to hoon. I went out on one after a month, saw how these guys ride and gave it another few months before going on another one.

I also saw a few new bikers coming out with us and writing their bikes off, riding a bigger bike is different to riding a 125. It doesn't take long to get carried away, if you have doubts just roll off and if they're a good group they'll wait for you on the next roundabout or junction.

Another tip is from my instructor: Think as every car is trying to kill you... Lost a few good childhood friends to cars pulling out on them and last summer I had an encounter with one. Still recovering, apart from all the negatives, the feeling of freedom on a bike is probably one of the greatest feelings you'll experience. I don't think anything comes close to it, its that thin line between life and death that makes it so special imo...

Last edited:
Caporegime
Not long ago we found out that my granddad has cancer, due to the location of the tumour they can't remove it... Stay positive, it might not be easy. But will power has proved doctors wrong many times.

In the last 3 years I've lost my father (euthanasia, throat cancer), an uncle (bone marrow cancer), my mother's had a double mastectomy, and my wife has has it in her eye. So yeah, staying positive is hard atm.

And that's my pity party for the week, back to business as usual!

Back
Top Bottom