Associate
I've bought this spec on the used market:

Ryzen 9 3900 (non x)
Asus Prime x570-p
1 x corsair 16GB DDR4 dimm
MSI RTX 3080 Gaming Z Trio 10GB
Corsair tx750m
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

I know it's only single channel, so i need a matching stick or eplacement 2 x 16GB, and i need some storage either 1 or 2TB for now, any advice appreciated there.

It's early days but i must say, im not impressed so far vs my 4770k/1080 ti. I need to baseline both systems to make a comparison as it's very subjective at the moment without data.

There's little information on the non X 3900 overclocking. Any advice appreciated on that front too!

Man of Honour
Running dual channel (and at a decent speed, 3000+) would likely make a big difference to overall framerate smoothness, as earlier Ryzens are very much impacted by slow RAM.

3080 is much faster than a 1080 Ti (TPU's database says +78% in raster, no upscaling), so if you get the CPU/RAM sorted out then some decent gains should be noticeable, depending on the game and the resolution/settings.

If you're mainly playing older games from the quad core era, rather than newer ones like Cyberpunk, Hogwarts & Starfield, that might be why you're not seeing much difference.

Man of Honour
Those 4000 series Intel CPUs especially with an overclock hold up much better than people often think in gaming, albeit any game which can utilise more than 4 core / 8 threads will run not so great on them now. In any game using more advanced graphical features though the 3080 will be all over the 1080ti.

As above the single channel RAM bandwidth is probably holding things back quite a lot - the AMD 3000 series is quite performance limited by RAM until you hit around 3200MHz or so in dual-channel but hits diminishing returns beyond that - can't remember off the top of my head what the optimal speed RAM is.

Associate
I'm not sure what you're complaining about. You are running single channel memory with a powerful graphics card. I'm half pished most of the time and even I know that. Also even my pathetic 5500 has better IPC than your CPU.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
@Tetras - i've tested Helldivers 2 i need to test more games when i get more storage.

@Delta3D its a good option, for when i have the budget.

@Rroff i'll definitley be buying a 2nd stick

@moppy89 i know, hence needing the 2nd stick.

@adrichardson81 - thanks for the advice.

Any suggestions on overclocking this? not sure if i can get it near to a 3900x or there's limits ?

also any specific ram i need? this is the Ram it came with.

Also what M2 do you's reccomend (best go-to value M2)

thumbnail.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Memory overclocking on Ryzen depends on luck more than anything. I had a b-die kit and never got more than 3200 out of it with my 3700x, even with a lot of voltage tuning. Relax the timings a bit, try 3600 at 1.35v and see if it posts.

I'd go for the cheapest gen4 m.2 you can find with a ddr cache. SN770 and p3 plus are good value.

Man of Honour
also any specific ram i need? this is the Ram it came with.
Corsair change their memory chips even on the same model, so unless you get exactly the same revision it is just luck (if it'll work happily together) either way I'm afraid.

Also what M2 do you's reccomend (best go-to value M2)
Since prices are changing all the time it is hard to say, but I'd look at something that is guaranteed TLC, decent TBW rating, with a 5 year warranty. SN580 or SN770 are usually in that category. I'd avoid the QLC (or possibly QLC) models with poor endurance ratings, like Kingston's NV2 and Crucial's P3, though for a secondary drive they're probably fine.

Back
Top Bottom