Mulholland Drive..umm, what? *spoiler*

Soldato
I've just watched this film and I did attempt to watch it on Christmas Day when I got it but alas the excitement held me back for watching more than 20minutes, so I put it on tonight after finishing my last exam.

I thought that the storyline to begin with was progressing well until out of the blue lesbian scene #1, I'm seriously not complaining about that but I think the director is a bit of a sex addict. I couldn't really watch her with the old man at the auction - it was just argh.

Anyways towards the end I was following my hardest to piece it together and I do understand what was going on in a sense I just don't follow how it actually links properly, if it's supposed to.

Oh and I noticed that I saw 'The Cowboy' twice more after that sequence in the film that means they did bad, I think.

Anyways, care to shed some light on this film please?

Associate
It took me a while to get a gist of what's going down, it's an immense film worth wtaching more than twice. The cowboy is important in the fact it's meant to be a bit of an indicator of what is reality and what the woman is fantasising.

I get the impression she did something terrible like kill her lover or something similar and at the end of the day she's just like any other wannabe actor in Hollywood trying to make it big. The woman they find is actually her (?) and so is the woman that serves them coffe in the cafe. That's all I can remember but hope it helps.

Soldato
My interpretation of it (having watched it a number of times now) was that the first part until they open the blue box is the ideal but fantasy life of Naomi Watts' character, who is actually a down and out wannabe actor in Hollywood. She wants to be with the dark haired woman whom she loves, she aspires to be a successful Hollywood actress which she seems to be achieving following her audition, but the reality is (everything after the open the box) that she seems to be clutching at straws as her life falls apart around her, to the point where she kills herself (that last scene is pretty intense).

As is the norm with Lynch films, there are bits which don't add up and I don't think he ever wanted people to filly 'get' his films, but I'm happy with my theory.

Back
Top Bottom