Multiple monitor problem

Associate
I'm in Windows 11. I just bought a mini hdmi monitor to use as a second side monitor. Initially it was recognised as extended, but wouldn't clone. So I (stupidly) set it as the primary display, but now it won't boot into it or show any signal, and won't show my main monitor either. Obviously with it unplugged my main monitor returns, but because it's the only monitor recognised Windows doesn't give the option to force my main one back as the primary. I have tried booting with the mini mon being the only monitor, it shows the bios boot start up, then goes black.

So, bit stuck atm. I connected another old monitor I had lying around around and reset my main monitor as primary, but it seems Windows has some form of ID for the monitors, cos when I tried again that didn't stick.

Anyone know what I do within Windows to reset the monitior IDs - or whatever they're called?

Last edited:
Soldato
try uninstalling the graphics card driver, then plug little one in, windows shoul use the basic graphics driver at this point allowing you to make some settings changes.

other wise try using windows + p to try and cycle the monitors

use the 2nd monitor to grab the settings window in in task bar use the "move" window menu option to grab and pull it over to the working one to change settings

theres 3 things to try

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for your suggestions. I'll try the drivers next.

I've been able to boot into the little one in safe mode, but even with my main mon also plugged in, it doesn't recognise multiple monitors in safe mode.

Grabbing etc won't work as there's currently no way to see anything on the second monitor, it just goes black after bios screen. No amount of setting changes allows it fully boot on it's own.

Edit - LostCorpse, you're a legend. The windows + p option did it. I couldn't actually see what option I was choosing, had to do it blind - but it fixed it. Cheers :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom