Mute R Kelly

Caporegime
It should be up to individuals to decide if they want to listen to his music not some corporate alliance to decide for us all if we can listen to it, the way people are being written out of society is dystopian AF.

It should be up to individuals to decide if they want to listen to his music not some corporate alliance to decide for us all if we can listen to it, the way people are being written out of society is dystopian AF.

This. I quite liked his stuff from the mid-90s: She's got that vibe, Bump n grind, Thank God it's Friday. The fact that he's facing jail time doesn't change my views.

Soldato
He's definitely going to prison this time around but should we mute his music? I mean yeah he's a paedophile, serial abuser and not 100% in the head and he deserves to go to prison. But does his music deserve to never be heard again?

For those that don't know he's had sex with 14 year olds for like 20 years now. Even pee'd on them. Kept them locked up. Force them to do whatever they are told and call him daddy.

Apparently he was sexually abused when he was 8 until he was 11. His brother was sexually abused by an older man too when young and his other brother is in prison. So yeah he is this way because of the upbringing he had then add fame into the mix then he went wacko jacko. Talking about Jacko why is there no Mute Wacko Jacko? Did you know R Kelly wrote "I am not alone" which is an MJ song?

Thoughts on should his music be permanently muted?

Neither of them have convictions for their alleged crimes, but in the courts of public opinion, people have decided they're guilty. I think R Kelly will get harsher treatment as he's a lot less liked than Michael Jackson. If R Kelly is found not guilty, I doubt people will be as quick to forget and carry on enjoying his music. I mean, look at Lost Prophets (I think it's them), the lead singer was convicted of some horrific crimes related to children, the popularity of their music has dropped off a cliff.

Personally, I think the evidence for both of them is pretty damning. However, I'm not the one that decides who's guilty and who's not. I wouldn't listen to either of them anymore. I struggle to enjoy Kanye West's first album (which was good) because he's such a giant bell end.

Last edited:
Permabanned
All I know from him is "I believe I can fly" which is a classic that I still like. Personally, he can **** right off though.

Soldato
it was one of his biggest hits but i really liked his other stuff too like the below

he also did 2 albums and a tour with Jay-Z

Do you really think some of the posters in here are going to listen to music made by black people/culture? Really? I doubt some of them would even speak to a non-white person lol (hyperbole before anyone has a heart attack)

Caporegime
When I redid my front room many years ago I listened to the whole "stuck in a closet" series while laying wooden floor!

If he is proven as a serial kiddy fiddler it will be likened to listening to Gary Glitter. Even though rock n roll part 2 was a beast of a tune......

Caporegime
Listening to someones music isn't an endorsement of everything they ever did in their personal life, R. Kelly's music hasn't suddenly changed just your opinions of him as a person which has zilch to do with his music.

I would guess that a large portion of Hollywood and the music industry have convictions for crimes so are we just going to censor everything with a convicted criminal involved in it? the people pushing these campaigns and the corporations who will ultimately enforce it need putting in place by government. I thought we had evolved past mobs going all vigilante on people a few centuries ago, it looks like it just went from pitchforks to a conpiracy to destroy people by attacking their livelihoods.

Punishment for crimes is a matter for the justice system.

Caporegime
OP
Listening to someones music isn't an endorsement of everything they ever did in their personal life, R. Kelly's music hasn't suddenly changed.

I would guess that a large portion of Hollywood and the music industry have convictions for crimes so are we just going to censor everything with a convicted criminal involved in it? the people pushing these campaigns and the corporations who will ultimately enforce it need putting in place by government. I thought we had evolved past mobs going all vigilante on people a few centuries ago, it looks like it just went from pitchforks to a conpiracy to destroy people by attacking their livelihoods.

Punishment for crimes is a matter for the justice system.

yeah i was watching a show on netflix set in china and mongolia. then when the credits came up it was a Harvstein production. I immediately thought I'm surprised this hasn't been pulled. But then should all the actors and the show be punished for the acts of 1 person?

Soldato
For radio/tv music stations probably not mute his songs but just let market forces dictate whether they get played or not.. I suspect there isn't many people asking for R Kelly songs.

As for people listening to his songs thats up to each individual.

I stopped being interested in his music when the stuff about the 14yo girl came out. I couldn't take him seriously anymore as an artist.

Soldato
I'd never even heard of him until a few days back when the girlfriend of a mate of mine mentioned him in passing and then made us watch what seemed to be about 300 parts of some comedy song on YouTube.

Back
Top Bottom