MX records and that

Associate
Looking for a bit of help.

Im busy doing a website for a school. They currently use google apps for education equivalent of gmail for there email.
There email is all working as its been set up with there current web site provider.
Now I know I can just get them to put a redirect to the co.uk version of the site. But I want to host the site on vidahost which i can do, I can get the current provider to point to the vidahost servers so they can still keep there .sch.uk web address.

But how would I go about doing it so that no emails are lost and there is no email down time?

TIA

You will need to change the MX Records in Vidahost or your new Nameserver to match what they have already.

No email should be lost aslong as both the new and old nameservers are working while it's propogating.

You can check on http://www.mxtoolbox.com/ what the current MX records are.

Copy that information to vidahost or your new nameserver and you should be good.

Last edited:
another vidahost user here :)

just setup the domain in your cpanel / whm, upload the code + db's etc, then get them to point their DNS 'A' record at the IP for the server

this will just host the website with you, and all email etc will be untouched

So if the MX records are the same on both the old host and the vidahost ( set up before ) asking the old host to change over then everything should be fine?

I think we will be changing name servers for everything as the old host is editure which supplies VLE's and is in austraila.

Back
Top Bottom