MX1000 charging problem

Permabanned
My MX1000 is about a year old I think? but recently it doesn't charge properly, the reason I found was that ... when you put the mouse in the charger these days the lights going up and down to indicate charging don't come on, but if you press the mouse down hard in to the base unit/charger it starts charging.

I've had to resort to wrapping multiple elastic bands around the top of the mouse and the base unit to keep pressure on the charging units. There are no obstructions in the base or the mouse, the contacts are clean, I can only imagine the base unit has lost its shape somehow?

Not a show killer of a problem, I can work round it, but it shouldn't have to be like that, anyone else had this problem and found a better solution than elastic bands to hold down the mouse?

Permabanned
OP
I've tried prising out the contacts in the base, they are quite free though and I do make sure the mouse is sitting properly in the base, it definitely needs a fair bit of pressure on the mouse for the mouse to charge these days.

No teflon feet on my mouse, just standard.

I've come to the conclusion that over time the base cup has somehow become distorted (contracted?) I was watching what happened when I pushed the mouse into the charger just now to get the charging lights going, and you can definitely see the base cup swell slightly as you push the mouse in, release the pressure and the mouse pops up again (slightly) making it lose contact with the charging pins.

Oh well, not a show killer, but the elastic band method I was using is annoying? I'll maybe get a small Velcro strap from the DIY store and rig something up, out of warranty and out of luck, great mouse though, much better than my old MX700.

Permabanned
OP
Thanks Phemo

I appreciate the importance of keeping the contacts clean, and when I owned my MX700 someone here advised licking the contacts of the mouse to increase conductivity ... LOL, it actually helped.

Anyhow, I had a pencil eraser handy after reading your post, and it did help for like ... 2 minutes, I can only guess the contact needed for the battery's to charge on the MX1000 is marginal at best, and that maybe my theory of the base cup unit becoming distorted slightly (slightly is all it would need) over time might be a contributing factor too?

I'll look into your suggested bodge of adding something extra to the contact points on the base, but will probably bodge up a velcro strap from the back of the base, over the mouse, to the front of the base to keep the mouse pushed in. Its not as if it needs constant charging like the MX700 did, my MX1000 goes days without a charge.

Thanks again for the feedback folks.

Back
Top Bottom