mx1000 gone mad? randomly scrolling

Associate
This is really starting to annoy me. Ive had the logitech 3100 desktop set for almost one year without any problem until the last week...

The mouse (mx1000 laser) is playing up - but I dont know what the problem is. It seems to be scrolling at random! About half the time the scoll wheel works normally, up down as one would expect, but the rest of the time the bloody thing seems to be scrolling by itself.

For example, right now I am typing this and the internet explorer window is acting like its possessed! scrolling up and down by itself and I'm not even touching the mouse. (it could be the keyboard because its got a scroll bar on it too, but i cant determine which one is the cause).

What could be causing this?

- Batteries a bit drained?
Everything is fully charged. Just replaced the keyboard batteries and the mouse is fully recharged.

- Receiver distance?
Hasnt changed in months and is well withing range.

- Interference?
Could be an issue i suppose. I live in a block of flats so I guess there could be interference from any number of sources that couls be causing problems.

- Faulty mouse?
Maybe the mouse has just got a faulty circuit inside it and sending a 'scroll' signal intermitantly.

What could it be? I havent tried uninstalling an reinstalling the driver yet and there has been no changes to my setup in a number of weeks.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

(hmmm I just switched off the mouse on the bottom and the mad randome scrolling seems to have stopped for now!)

Associate
Brain, It sounds like a dodgy mouse. Is it under warranty?
I havn't had a single thing go wrong with my MX1000 (touch wood) but similar random stuff on another cheapo cordless mouse was cured by moving its receiver to the other side of the monitor. I never found what the cause was and have subsequently replaced that unit with the MX1000.
I have also had a very infrequent scrolling problem with my Belkin Nostromo controller which is cured by a discon/recon of its USB :confused:

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Both the mouse and keyboard use the same receiver. I just looked out the receipt and I may be able to take it back, I got this thing aout a year ago on the 08/04/2005 so looks like I should still be covered by 12months warranty. However the box is long gone...so I dont know if I could take it back?

Ive tried moving the receiver but that doesnt seem to help. I will maybe try reinstalling later but I dont see how that would solve anything.

This is when I regret throwing out my old tatty mouse. I could do with a spare one right now.

Associate
Brain said:
Both the mouse and keyboard use the same receiver. I just looked out the receipt and I may be able to take it back, I got this thing aout a year ago on the 08/04/2005 so looks like I should still be covered by 12months warranty. However the box is long gone...so I dont know if I could take it back?

Ive tried moving the receiver but that doesnt seem to help. I will maybe try reinstalling later but I dont see how that would solve anything.

This is when I regret throwing out my old tatty mouse. I could do with a spare one right now.

Yep, I always keep a trusty 510 nearby for when the kids run down my MX1000 :(
I don't think the retailer can insist on original packaging but it may be wise to plub it into a friends rig 1st, just in case?

Associate
OP
cool. I phoned logitech and they are sending me a new desktop set. The MX3100 is discontinued so they are sending me the MX5000 instead :) No bad - an upgrade I suppose.

Associate
Brain said:
cool. I phoned logitech and they are sending me a new desktop set. The MX3100 is discontinued so they are sending me the MX5000 instead :) No bad - an upgrade I suppose.

Nice one, I must remember this when my MX1000 is 11months old :D

Associate
OP
I dont have to send the faulty keyboard/mouse back either....only parts of it.

You have to send parts to Switzerland - and being quite sensible the company realise that it would be expensive to ship to another country a whole desktop set. Son instead they asked me for the following:

- Keyboard feet
- All Battery covers (only happens to be on the keyboard in my case)
- USB cable that connects up to the charger/base station

A slightly odd arrangement of parts. The guy said this would render the device unusable [in case I was telling fibs about the faulty parts I suppose]. The feet and battery covers I dont see as a problem and certainly would not stop the devices from working. The usb cable however is different. Its moulded into the receiver so I guess they want me to cut the cable off?

Associate
Still, it does give some credence back to Logitech. I like their products and with service like that I think I will stick with them! :D

Soldato
Logitech Support are indeed one of the best.

Back when i had to RMA a keyboard they where based in Switzerland and it was the same deal.. cut a bit of the cable off.

Excellent bunch of people to deal with.

Microsoft’s hardware department are also pretty good. They sent me the wrong keyboard back as an RMA.. so they then sent another one and then another one.

ended up with 3 keyboards :cool:

Associate
:D
Amps said:
Logitech Support are indeed one of the best.

Back when i had to RMA a keyboard they where based in Switzerland and it was the same deal.. cut a bit of the cable off.

Excellent bunch of people to deal with.

Microsoft’s hardware department are also pretty good. They sent me the wrong keyboard back as an RMA.. so they then sent another one and then another one.

ended up with 3 keyboards :cool:

e-bay doing ok out of you then?

Back
Top Bottom