mx5, mr2 or mgf

GT3

GT3

Soldato
I can see that, although the later VVT engines are a little better in that regard.

Fair enough, mine was a 2000 1.8 so yes I'll admit I haven't tried a VVT one.

I really fancy a Honda K20 engined mk3 MR2. I think it would be the perfect sports car for relatively cheap money.

Man of Honour
Fair enough, mine was a 2000 1.8 so yes I'll admit I haven't tried a VVT one.
Although it doesn't set the world on fire with power, there were quite a few nice upgrades from the MK2 to MK2.5, especially with the Sport:

For the 2001 model year, a facelift to the second-generation MX-5 was released. There were some minor exterior changes, with a press-release of July 18, 2000, announcing the changes as "resulting in an even sportier and more forceful look". Fog lamps, previously an option, were made standard. Some cockpit elements were changed, with the instrument panel gauges receiving a white face and red numbers. The seats were also upgraded, incorporating more support in the side bolsters and taller headrests. Added for top models (designated 'Sport' in the U.K) were 16-inch (410 mm) wheels with 205/45VR16 low-profile tires, larger brakes at the front and rear, additional chassis stiffening braces, a limited slip differential, a 6-speed manual gearbox, Bilstein suspension and leather seats. The upgraded tires and suspension allowed the new model to pull 0.91 g in lateral grip in tests by Car and Driver magazine. The body was strengthened, gaining 16% in bending rigidity and 22% in torsional rigidity. With the minimum of options, the 2001 model weighed 1,065 kg (2,348 lb).

The 1.8 L (110 cu in) BP6D engine was slightly modified and now featured variable valve timing on the intake camshaft. The intake and exhaust system also received a minor upgrade. These modifications resulted in a power output of 113 kW (152 bhp) (Japan, UK and Australia) or 107 kW (143 bhp) (US only).

The engine is solid (other models using the engine in Japan come with a turbo as standard), so will take 200BHP with the addition of a turbo and not much else needed on the engine side but can go for 300BHP with some other upgraded engine parts.

Man of Honour
To be fair, at least the K series in the MGF despite its flaws has some character, there is a reason Caterhams and s1 Elises use them. The MX5 despite its capable chassis, has such a dull and uninspiring coarse sounding engine. It lacks low end grunt yet doesn't rev out nicely either, completely unremarkable.

Just feel like I need to add some balance to everyone telling you to get an MX5, I bought one 4 years ago and was completely underwhelmed!

I'd disagree with the point about not revving out nicely, a MK2 1.8 will make peak power pretty much on the limiter.

Associate
If the mk3 MR2 is a post 2003 facelift model, then I would go for that. They fixed the engine issues from the earlier models and have a 6 speed gearbox with LSD standard.
Not true, they fixed the engine issues in late 2005. I used to own a '06 so that had the revised engine but not many did. Great cars but mine had a few issues developing so got rid before it got too bad.

Soldato
The MR2 is probably the one to get, assuming you don't need a boot.

I'd probably avoid the MGs unless you can fix it yourself, but they can be had for peanuts (guy at work bought one for £100 lol, it needed some sensors replacing and it's head gasket had previously blown twice!). Most of the issues are fixed with aftermarket parts and if you were buying a K-Series Lotus you wouldn't expect problems. But an MG/Rover probably hasn't had the same kind of love or money spent on it.

Last edited:
Caporegime
If modifying then MX5. I have been getting my friends car track ready for him and it is refreshing how easy it is to work on plus the plethora of parts for it. Torsen diff cost something silly like £200 plus there is a shed load of second hand mods up for sale (MX5 group notifications go off by the minute). MK2's are 80% rust buckets unless you find a low owner summer only car. Pick of the bunch are the pre-face 10th anni or Icon as they come with the 6 speed close ratio box and LSD. He paid 750 for his (boggo 1.8 vvti) but the shell was tatty although had welding done. We have put cheap coilovers, torsen diff+polybushed, RSR Feds on some Icon Enkei wheels, yellow stuff pads/discs and refreshed all the fluids. Second hand exhaust and K&N typhoon. I would say around £1800 with all my free labour and it is a hoot to drive. Just need to tidy up the body now.

Stock car MK3 MR2 is the best. If you are simply buying the car for fun then this is the best choice. post 03 is the best choice as it gets the 6 speed LSD box and more reliable engine. Potential to turn into a real monster with a 2ZZ swap.

MGTF is the fastest car stock. Reliability can be an issue but easy for anyone who can wield spanners. The 160BHP version came with big brakes. Avoid the MGF as the TF is a huge improvement. A lot of negativity for a car that is equal to an MX5 easily.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've always preferred the look on the Mk2 MR2, neighbour had a mk3 and thought he was the dogs danglies, It just looked cheap and nasty dunno why, tbf his wasn't in the best of shape, two tone red and "pink" paint on it xD

Looking at MR-2's now, there's a faded looking light blue GT-Tbar with 48k on the clock for 3k, they're holding their money well, Am I right in thinking the turbo Mk2's are JDM only?

Last edited:
Caporegime
I've always preferred the look on the Mk2 MR2, neighbour had a mk3 and thought he was the dogs danglies, It just looked cheap and nasty dunno why, tbf his wasn't in the best of shape, two tone red and "pink" paint on it xD

That's because it was. The previous gen Celica and MR2 were more up market with soft touch plastics and a better built interior. 90's Toyota were at the top of their game. The generations of the 00's took both models in a different direction. The MK2 is more of a small GT car in similar respects to the SLK and Z3 whereas the MK3 was aimed at the mx5 market.

Soldato
OP
hmm interesting, to clarify the mr2 is a 2001 1.8vvt so pre-facelift by the sounds of it. it does have the most miles on it but it seems to start and drive just fine.

the mx5's engine problem is just the idle, it revs out perfectly fine it seems to just be set to idle really low, i'd wager if you could adjust the idle up a few hundred rpm it'd be fine although i'm not sure how easy a task that'd be. rust wise it does have a little round the rear sills, which is standard fare for most of them round here.

atm the minimum work option seems to be the mr2, as it has a hard top and no obvious issues, the mx5 would be second needing the idle sorted and the mg would be the most with stupid bonnet pins to remove, the gear shift to fix and potentially head gasket/temperature sensor modification needed.

i don't have a garage and i'm in northern ireland, so as handy as i am with spanners i'm limited to things that can be acheived within a few hours on the driveway in the gap between rainclouds.

edit: some more searching has found an mg tf with 36k popped up and another mr2 with less miles and a nicer interior spec

Last edited:
Soldato
If you can find a decent MX5 and stretch your budget then go for that.

However, the MGTF is a great little car. If you can find a good one for peanuts (you can also find a terrible one too) it’ll keep you entertained. I think the MGF has too much to go wrong with the air suspension and is starting to look a bit too dated. The TF has easily replaced coil springs and is stiffer than the F. I ignored all sensible advice and had a green MGTF 80th anniversary for my first car and I bloody loved it. It had a factory sports exhaust and I would buy the damned thing back if I had all the money in the world. Sure, it dumped me on the roadside more times than I’d care to remember but if you’re after character it had a heck of a lot. The K series has its flaws but there are lots of people who know how to fix them. If you’re after a project you could also get your spanners out.

Fabric roofs can be sorted by Jack Smith in Swansea for a fraction of OEM costs. I was very happy with the job he did on my S2000 and I know he does a load of MX5’s too, so don’t let it put you off an otherwise sorted car.

Soldato
OP
Fabric roofs can be sorted by Jack Smith in Swansea for a fraction of OEM costs. I was very happy with the job he did on my S2000 and I know he does a load of MX5’s too, so don’t let it put you off an otherwise sorted car.

i'm 50/50 on the fabric roof thing, i imagine i'd need to either go for a cover or get a hard top for the winter. it's more for when it's sitting than being driven.

GT3

GT3

Soldato
hmm interesting, to clarify the mr2 is a 2001 1.8vvt so pre-facelift by the sounds of it. it does have the most miles on it but it seems to start and drive just fine.

You need to do some reading on the 1zz-fe oil burning issue, I assume if its made it to that miles it has either had the pre-cats removed early in its life or its had another late engine swapped into it.

Not true, they fixed the engine issues in late 2005. I used to own a '06 so that had the revised engine but not many did. Great cars but mine had a few issues developing so got rid before it got too bad.

They came with revised pistons from 2003 did they not? Were there further revisions in 2005? Genuine question as I might pick one up for some cheap fun but I don't want another oil burning one.

Soldato
i'm 50/50 on the fabric roof thing, i imagine i'd need to either go for a cover or get a hard top for the winter. it's more for when it's sitting than being driven.

Get a decent cover for it. Very little upset me more than a crisp bright sunny winter’s day and not being able to take the hard top off my TF. The soft top was more waterproof anyway as it had a better fit round the window seals!

Good luck with your search whatever you end up with. You’ll need to be very attached emontionally to whatever you buy as you’ll be finding rust and niggles all the time at this age. Shop around lots and try to buy privately from an enthusiast.

Associate

Looking at MR-2's now, there's a faded looking light blue GT-Tbar with 48k on the clock for 3k, they're holding their money well, Am I right in thinking the turbo Mk2's are JDM only?

Yep imports only (usa had turbo's also) but i have seen people transplanting the 3s-gte into uk mk2's.

I also rate the mk2 above the mk3 faster and looks more manly imo.

Soldato
OP
You need to do some reading on the 1zz-fe oil burning issue, I assume if its made it to that miles it has either had the pre-cats removed early in its life or its had another late engine swapped into it.

righto, thanks for the heads up i'll have a look at that. i'll confess the mr2 is a car i don't know much about.

Get a decent cover for it. Very little upset me more than a crisp bright sunny winter’s day and not being able to take the hard top off my TF. The soft top was more waterproof anyway as it had a better fit round the window seals!

Good luck with your search whatever you end up with. You’ll need to be very attached emontionally to whatever you buy as you’ll be finding rust and niggles all the time at this age. Shop around lots and try to buy privately from an enthusiast.

by hard top i'm meaning the removable kind with the fabric roof beneath, means come winter i can not worry so much about the weather but still take the top off when i feel like it.

but if it's soft top only then it'll need some kind of more substantial cover.

Soldato
righto, thanks for the heads up i'll have a look at that. i'll confess the mr2 is a car i don't know much about.

by hard top i'm meaning the removable kind with the fabric roof beneath, means come winter i can not worry so much about the weather but still take the top off when i feel like it.

but if it's soft top only then it'll need some kind of more substantial cover.

It’s much more of a faff to take the hard top off and store it somewhere for the odd drive than having an outdoor cover. You can also get half covers which protect the roof and glasshouse.

Back
Top Bottom