MX500 or 870 Evo?

Associate
I have the Samsung 840 Evo in my 3770K rig which only has SATA 3 ports and the drive has done me well but looks like it is on its way out and I’m torn between getting the 250GB MX500 or 870 Evo where the latter is £5 more and the specs/reliability looks better unless there is something around the £40 mark which beats it, which would you go for?

MX500

Sequential read 560MB/s
Sequential write 510MB/s
Endurance 100TB TBW
256MB DDR3 DRAM

870 Evo

Sequential read 560MB/s
Sequential write 530MB/s
Endurance 150TB TBW
512MB DDR4 DRAM

Man of Honour
Get the MX500, I don't know if the 870 Evo has been fixed yet (or if it will be).

You can get the 500GB MX500 for £43, by the way.

Soldato
Both have some dodgyness about them.

Currently a thread on TPU about people getting drive errors after 6 months or so of usage, no acceptance of the problem by Samsung.

Both my MX500's have a very high erase cycle rate and eventually both had unreadable data. However its confirmed that the latest revisions of the MX500 are ok, crucial never admitted to this either, but is confirmed fixed by end users on the newest revision.

So I am with Tetras on the advice, if you end up with an old revision return it within cooldown period.

Associate
OP
Get the MX500, I don't know if the 870 Evo has been fixed yet (or if it will be).

You can get the 500GB MX500 for £43, by the way.

Both have some dodgyness about them.

Currently a thread on TPU about people getting drive errors after 6 months or so of usage, no acceptance of the problem by Samsung.

Both my MX500's have a very high erase cycle rate and eventually both had unreadable data. However its confirmed that the latest revisions of the MX500 are ok, crucial never admitted to this either, but is confirmed fixed by end users on the newest revision.

So I am with Tetras on the advice, if you end up with an old revision return it within cooldown period.
Thanks, that's not good to hear from Samsung as you would expect it to be fixed already being a popular drive, is it firmware or hardware issue?

I will go for the MX500 but how do I check if I have the latest revision?

Soldato
Thanks, that's not good to hear from Samsung as you would expect it to be fixed already being a popular drive, is it firmware or hardware issue?

I will go for the MX500 but how do I check if I have the latest revision?
The firmware version, its an easy way to tell the hardware revision. As the oldest version cannot use the latest firmware.

I think if you get M3CR032 or newer you good. There is also a newer revision which is ok as well, its very unlikely you will get a first revision as a brand new purchase now. :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I'd get neither and recommend a 500gb SSD tbh
Looks like they are around the £40 mark so will go for 500GB as you never know how much Windows Update will take in the future but which one would you recommend?

My current 250GB, I still have 120GB left only have a few simulation games and the OS

Man of Honour

I haven't seen it established yet, unfortunately, but my guess is that this is a hardware issue.

Man of Honour
Looks like they are around the £40 mark so will go for 500GB as you never know how much Windows Update will take in the future but which one would you recommend?
the crucial mx500 is £42.50 for 500gb - that's the one id go for. proven reliability.

My current 250GB, I still have 120GB left only have a few simulation games and the OS
one can never have too much storage :p
(and besides, to keep the ssd as fast as it should be, the last 20 or so gb should never be used anyway)

Back
Top Bottom