my computer has broker - disk boot failure

Associate
my computer has broke - disk boot failure

hi all, i hope someone can kindly me me.

I just bought a new case and having moved everything into it it get the following message when i boot up:
DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

I have a feeling my motherboard may have be broke but am unsure?

I have tired everything I can think of. Have cleard the CMOs and tried various BIOS settings. i also have an old image of my C: drive that I just restored and still the same problem. I don't think there are any problems with my hard drives as when using norton ghost I can browse the files on them all and they all show up correct in the BIOS. I am just away to do another restore but this time replace the MBR and see if that helps.

Would appreciate any help/advice anyone can offer cause i'm am completely stuck now.

Computer spec below:
Windows XP Pro
DFI Lanparty Ultra D, Opteron 146,
Hiper Type R 580W PSU, Radeon X1800XL

Last edited:
Associate
Sounds like it may be the master boot record may have become corrupted although you have tried to repair it with norton. The bios is searching the MBR to start the operating system and can't find the required file.

Have you tried repairing the MBR not using norton?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'ev had this sort of thing a few times now.

Try this. Boot off of your XP disc and go into the recovery console, when you're in type help to display the commands. there'll be a couple to rewrite *** MBR and boot sector etc. Try these. Also try the chkdsk \p (Or something like that).

It should tell you about the \p bit when you do a normal chkdsk in the console.

Good luck.

Associate
OP
many thanks for the help guys but after much hair pulling it is fixed :D

it would seem that i damaged one of the SATA connectors on the motherboard somehow and when i plug the hard disk into a different one it works. i could swear i tried that yesterday!

thanks agian i'm so glad it works now

Back
Top Bottom