my decision on storage upgrade ps4 pro

Soldato
So I have a 1tb first gen sshd in there now (not for long, migration in progress). This is a PMR drive. 32 gig nand cache.

Drive has been full for a while my options were.

2tb firecuda - SMR drive :(, and questionable reliability. nand cache is only 8 gig.
2tb spindle probably my samsung M9T (these no longer made, much better than SMR junk).

Ended up getting a WD 4tb passport drive as external for a 4 fold storage increase, and deciding after issues with my PC to move my 512 gig 850 pro to the internal drive on the ps4 pro.

So from 1tb/32gig flash to 4tb/512 gig flash. External storage is probably one of the best features I seen rolled out for these consoles. I also dont need to rely on internal drive algorithms to move data to flash and instead just pick and choose what games are on it.

Also the migration process now with only 200 gig of data on the internal drive is way faster, it took 6 hours to move a almost full 1tb out, and then another 6 hours to put the new one in, now with 200 gig of data its 2 hours each way.

Soldato
OP
All done and dusted.

The migration times are affected by the fact I used a usb2 sata adaptor.

The wd passport is a usb3 interface drive, and when I was moving games to that, it was notably faster e.g. 300 gig took just 35 minutes.

pl7NhDH.jpg

Caporegime
I've just taken my SSD out of my PS4 Pro and put it back in the PC. For me, it didn't "feel" any different in the games I've been playing. They seem to load just as well being on an external USB3 HDD as they did on the internal SSD. In fact, I wondered if the SSD was actually causing problems with some games like Borderlands which use texture streaming. Sometimes the textures didn't even load in past the very-low resolution ones which I've never seen happen when they've been on HDD.

Soldato
OP
Well I didnt buy the ssd specifically for the console it just ended up needing repurposing, I will assess if I notice any actual tangible benefits from it.

Back
Top Bottom