My first venture into PC Gaming...

Definitely go with RYZEN. I listened to a "friend" and bought a 7600k and I really regret it now! I have a RX580 8gb all running on a 600w psu with some OCing and no issues atall. Just buy a good PSU dont buy a crappy brand or cheap out.

Definitely go with RYZEN. I listened to a "friend" and bought a 7600k and I really regret it now! I have a RX580 8gb all running on a 600w psu with some OCing and no issues atall. Just buy a good PSU dont buy a crappy brand or cheap out.

Mm i agree about not cheaping out on the power supply.

I also have the 7600k and for what it's worth it does it well enough for me.

But knowing what ryzen is like if i were to upgrade now, it would be the ryzen over intel but then intel are releasing coffee lake processors very soon.

The 7600k beats the ryzen on IPC but then the ryzen comes with more cores so it's up too you. The ryzen with more core beats the intel on overall performance and is priced reasonably close to the intel processor so yeah priced against a 7600k for example vs amds 1600x, the 1600x wins on overall performance with all of it's cores are in use that is all 6 of them.

So the very reason why ryzen is now recommended for today's buyers is because of it's overall 6 core performance so it is ideal as a workstation or streaming or anything that will use all of it's 6 cores.

The reason why the experts recommend the 7600k is to do with it's IPC and games only using 4 cores to be frank, the intel scores higher here thanks to it's IPC but then the ryzen with it's 6 cores is more future proof against the 7600k.

Last edited:
Mm i agree about not cheaping out on the power supply.

I also have the 7600k and for what it's worth it does it well enough for me.

But knowing what ryzen is like if i were to upgrade now, it would be the ryzen over intel but then intel are releasing coffee lake processors very soon.

The 7600k beats the ryzen on IPC but then the ryzen comes with more cores so it's up too you. The ryzen with more core beats the intel on overall performance and is priced reasonably close to the intel processor so yeah priced against a 7600k for example vs amds 1600x, the 1600x wins on overall performance with all of it's cores are in use that is all 6 of them.
Yeh I know the 7600k Is a decent cpu I just think I would have preferred the Ryzen line. I wont be upgrading now probably until next year so I cant pin my decision now because it all moves so fast! I will however buy threadripper in a heartbeat if it gets my Planet Coaster FPS to stay at a decent rate!

The reason why the experts recommend the 7600k is to do with it's IPC and games only using 4 cores to be frank, the intel scores higher here thanks to it's IPC but then the ryzen with it's 6 cores is more future proof against the 7600k.
not just future proof... its better now as well ... just depends what games are you playing
I recommend watching this Digital Foundry video... its very eye opening... especially Crysis 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RMbYe4X2LI

Watching this video now since i need an update, thanks.

The ryzen absolutely floors the i5 7600k regarding Minimum frame rates.

edit and yes especially Crysis 3...when games like Crysis 3 use the extra threads it will floor its competitor the 7600k with absolutely low minimum frame rates.

Untitled.jpg

Untitled1.jpg

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
To the OP a couple of things:

1. I noticed you were looking at the Kraken AIO cooler bundle. If going for Ryzen you will want the AM4 bracket as that is the socket Ryzen uses.

2. Even though that AOC ultra widescreen monitor is cool, I feel a 4K monitor is better especially if in the future you want to stream/watch movies/TV in UHD (they won't support the AOC's resolution whereas 4K, just like 1080p, is a movie/TV resolution).

3. With this budget, and if you go 4K, there is no reason not to get anything less than a 1080 Ti.

Thats what the mrs says. I think ill probably update then tell her and take the wrath!

If you upgrade while she's away from home and you re-use the same case, she never has to know? hehe.

BTW in my own defense, not that i'm being attacked, it's been over 2 years now that I've been warning people off i5's because true multithreading was coming/was here, and now its here, full force, and people are still buying i5's for gaming and I'm ripping my hair out screaming "WHYYY!" :D

If you're feeling really bad about having an i5 you could lie to yourself and say the massive perf difference between that i5 and the Ryzens in the graphics posted in this thread is due to the 200Mhz difference in RAM speed. Surely if you get 3200Mhz RAM you will get all tha framez. lol.

Is he still your friend? :(

If you upgrade while she's away from home and you re-use the same case, she never has to know? hehe.

BTW in my own defense, not that i'm being attacked, it's been over 2 years now that I've been warning people off i5's because true multithreading was coming/was here, and now its here, full force, and people are still buying i5's for gaming and I'm ripping my hair out screaming "WHYYY!" :D

If you're feeling really bad about having an i5 you could lie to yourself and say the massive perf difference between that i5 and the Ryzens in the graphics posted in this thread is due to the 200Mhz difference in RAM speed. Surely if you get 3200Mhz RAM you will get all tha framez. lol.

Is he still your friend? :(

Hes not, I killed him after ryzen came out. :)............... Its now too late. I bought threadripper last night and preordered a motherboard. I thought why not. Then I had to buy a 1080ti. and to top it off a few other bits. She will kill me when she gets back tomorrow.

Hes not, I killed him after ryzen came out. :)............... Its now too late. I bought threadripper last night and preordered a motherboard. I thought why not. Then I had to buy a 1080ti. and to top it off a few other bits. She will kill me when she gets back tomorrow.

Why do you need threadripper? Going from 4 threads to 24/32 threads is kind of silly. You're just a gamer, no?

My condolences for your murdered friend.

Back
Top Bottom