My first website build attempt

Associate
Hi all,

please could i ask for some constructive criticism on my first website build for my brother in law.
Its far from finished but wanted to make sure im not doing anything odd shall we say :p

Still empty pages etc atm.
And the main issue i have no real direction thats what im lacking is some inspiration.

Please go gentle with me but i will take on board any defects lol.

Site: http://adfieldelectrical.co.uk/

Thanks

Soldato
I think in the navigation bar there needs to be more spacing below the "Electrical" part of the logo, could just try a smaller font for it though.

Also on the contact page, the input fields don't line up with the labels.

Other than that great work mate :)

Looks great, well done :cool:

How did you learn to make websites, I'm curious as I'm self studying through online courses.

Try w3schools and codeacademy has a course for making responsive websites using HTML and CSS.

Last edited:
Associate
You could do with a decent logo and brand to tie it all together but overall, well done. It's quite clearly a Wordpress theme with a few tweaks but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Look at making it all fit together better. Just make sure you are up-to-date with any plugins and do a bit of research before using any 3rd party plugins (especially if you don't understand the underlying code) as Wordpress can be really insecure if done incorrectly.

There are also quite a few grammatical errors which put me off the website a bit. I understand it's kind of a first draft but make sure you get a few people to read through your text and point out any mistakes. First impressions count for a lot.

Soldato
Generally I think it's highly impressive, especially if it's your first website.

If I have any constructive criticism I'd up the contrast marginally on the text for navigation, my home laptop is tn 1366 x 768 and unless the angle is spot on, readability is not optimal.

Associate
OP
thanks all ill see what i can do, yes its wordpress as i find its easy to work with.
I am currentlly playing around with making a website non wordpress and just from pages but i feel this is too complex at the moment for me personally.

Soldato
thanks all ill see what i can do, yes its wordpress as i find its easy to work with.
I am currentlly playing around with making a website non wordpress and just from pages but i feel this is too complex at the moment for me personally.

Take a look at Bootstrap, makes stuff easier and is great for static website design.

Associate
I'd drop the text ("Welcome To...") on the homepage myself, assume your user knows they're free to look around your website and that they understand what a 'contact us' form is for. Also, consider dropping the transition delay on your slideshow on the homepage; since the text takes a second to 'spin in' it makes the navigation of the slides feel less responsive. Your 'About Us' is currently blank. Showing your projects is a great idea but populate that page with only a few of your very best examples, asap. Great inclusion of your certificate stamps in the footer. Try adding in trustpilot (or similar) review rating if you have one. Finally, consider putting a price or estimate cost on your product/service pages; people who want your services want to find out how much they can expect to pay and if they can't get it from your site they'll get it on a competitors instead of calling you.

Remember that your website should be informative and that the information a customer needs should be easy to find.

Hope thats not too critical and gives you some ideas. :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I'd drop the text ("Welcome To...") on the homepage myself, assume your user knows they're free to look around your website and that they understand what a 'contact us' form is for. Also, consider dropping the transition delay on your slideshow on the homepage; since the text takes a second to 'spin in' it makes the navigation of the slides feel less responsive. Your 'About Us' is currently blank. Showing your projects is a great idea but populate that page with only a few of your very best examples, asap. Great inclusion of your certificate stamps in the footer. Try adding in trustpilot (or similar) review rating if you have one. Finally, consider putting a price or estimate cost on your product/service pages; people who want your services want to find out how much they can expect to pay and if they can't get it from your site they'll get it on a competitors instead of calling you.

Remember that your website should be informative and that the information a customer needs should be easy to find.

Hope thats not too critical and gives you some ideas. :)

Thankyou for the information im having troubles changing the transition timing :mad:

When my brother in law signes upto check a trade i can link his review page to his website.

Back
Top Bottom