My friend's site has been hacked...!

It will usually be due to a vulnerability in whichever CMS they were using (e.g. WordPress or Joomla), or a vulnerability in one of the plugins/modules/themes they have installed on it.

Contact your host and they should be able to restore a backup and may be able to check logs to find out the cause.

Looks like it was built with WordPress so that may have been an old version or one of the plugins contained an exploit like Daz said.

Note that the IP address 88.110.0.xx which may show up in the logs is me poking around, I didn't hack it :p.

They'd changed the admin password as well, so I've managed to do a password reset and change it back. Can't see much changed in the actual Wordpress directory, I've updated everything too.

lies! grab the pitchforks gentlemen:mad:

It's the perfect coverup :p.

They'd changed the admin password as well, so I've managed to do a password reset and change it back. Can't see much changed in the actual Wordpress directory, I've updated everything too.

It could also have been something simple like an FTP password being leaked.

If you login to cPanel have a look at the server access logs - that should give you a hint as to if they got in through an exploit or not - post them here if you're not sure.

looks like index.php/htm still overwritten, tried restoring that yet?

It's showing the index page on any address you enter on the site (e.g. go to /aosdijioasjd for example) so you might want to check the .htaccess file too.

Is that the raw access logs? They only go back until this evening when I first discovered the hack.

Hmm are there not archived ones / ones for other days? It might just be showing you a day's view.

I wouldn't have thought they would have been deleted anyway.

stupidly easy to do on some sites. there's a backtrack linux fan page on facebook and some of the tutorial hacking videos on there show just how easy it is with some sites and the right software.

usually after a hack I would clean the files out, especially *.php. They could easily have hidden a shell script, then I'd restore a backup and update the installation. If you don't need people to have access to the wp-admin folder, then password protect it, just another bit of security.

Back
Top Bottom