My Log Burner...

Soldato
Had a quote to fit a Flavel Arundel 5kw burner in our living room. No chimney, so the flue will be going straight out the wall and up. Seems a reasonable quote; £500 for the burner, £200 for the hearth and £1946 for the flue, installation and commissioning.

Soldato
Hi guys,

The finish around my log burner is a thin bit of skirting board, but i'm now thinking this isnt the best choice as it gets very hot.

Is this ok if i paint it in heat proof paint of should i just remove it and try figure out a metal finish?

Soldato
Hi guys,

The finish around my log burner is a thin bit of skirting board, but i'm now thinking this isnt the best choice as it gets very hot.

Is this ok if i paint it in heat proof paint of should i just remove it and try figure out a metal finish?

Have you got any pics.

How hot is very hot.

Soldato
16kxf10.jpg

The wood gets too hot to touch for longer than 2-3 seconds

Last edited:
Associate
150mm is the minimum legal gap between burner and flammables.

Where does that come from?

According to this...http://www.stovefittersmanual.co.uk/articles/rules-for-wood-burning-stoves/...

"Your stove must be a minimum distance away from combustible materials. This distance will be specified by the stove manufacturer in their installation instructions (contact them if stove not yet purchased). The distances will often be 24″ or more (if you have an inglenook with any combustibles present then it better be a large one)."

Additionally, the distance from the flue pipe must be 3 x the diameter of the pipe unless shielded. So 18" for a 6" flue.

Associate
Going by that nonsense, most peoples burners are illegal if they have a wooden mantel...

Here 150mm is the legal minimum. My burners get safety checked/swept every year as part of my insurance requirements, they all pass.

Back
Top Bottom