My Mate's CV, do I say something?

Man of Honour
My mate and his partner (gay couple so you don't get confused) have both got to leave their jobs.
I've had years of giving advice on writing CVs and giving job interviews (not compared to some on here) and his partner asked for my help two weeks ago.
His partner came down with his CV which was done by 'experts' a few years ago and we just had to change a few things around however my mate said he'd done his.
Yesterday my mate said potential employers were having problems downloading his CV so he asked me if I could download it and this is what I found :eek: Do you think I should tell him why potential employers could be pretending not to be able to download it?
Forgot to mention that I thought he was asking for advice so I said I could download it but we need to work on the grammar a bit and he replied he was happy with it, just concerned people couldn't download it.

(I have changed some of the titles etc)

Summary

I believe that I offer value to any future employer, honesty,punctuality, literacy and numeracy are some of the returns.a full clean driving licence could also be of use to you.No absence or sick days.I am leaving wkr because they are moving to a 12 hour shift pattern,and at my age I don't want that.

Experience

PACKER AND WAREHOUSE OPERATIVE | 10/2018 - Current
wkr – fenton - stoke
Efficiently packaged electrical goods and other items, maintaining consistency to meet fulfilment deadlines.using computer,scanner printers etc to generate labels.Mentored new starters.

SPECIAL METER READER | 06/2005 - 09/2018
british gas - Stoke
Received time allocated appointments to read or check customers gas and electricity meters,liaising with the customer and the office to satisfy both

SANITARY CASTER | 11/1978 - 06/2005
edwards bathrooms – longton - Stoke
Manually casted toilets,basins,cysterns etc in plaster moulds and finished ready for spraying

Skills
I have no problems working alone as my time with british gas shows
and before and after at wkr as part of a bigger team.

Education
blurton high school – Stoke

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
I first met him on Quiz Nights, he is the bloke you want on your team, his knowledge is nearly in The Chasers territory and music questions he can't be beaten unless it's Rock/Metal based.
He's 60 so isn't looking for something amazing, he's seen a driving job he would like working for a Pharmacy and it could be his CV has put them off.

Man of Honour
OP
The applicant does have a point, you don't need to be able to write business memos and reports for a shop floor packing job.

This may be a bit of a Catch 22 situation if wkr do indeed stylise themselves as ‘wkr’

I did say I had changed initials and even jobs so take them with a pinch of salt and 'wkr' are indeed capital letters like JCB (but not JCB).
I just needed your thoughts on the grammar and whether I should say something.
My wife tells me that his partner has already had definite offers and looking at his CV you can see why so I think I'll wait until he starts getting panicky and I'll suggest a change of CV.
I also don't think his other half has seen his CV.

Man of Honour
OP
Why don't you just play dumb?

"It has opened but something weird has happened, the formatting is broken and some of the letters are missing - want me to fix it?"

Too late, when I downloaded it I thought he was asking for help so said "Yes it downloaded but some of the grammar needs sorting out".
He said he was happy with the grammar :(

Man of Honour
OP
I would probably reply to that with something around the lines of:
"While you may be happy with how it looks, an employer isn't going to be happy with it. If you seriously want a job, then I can help you make it look more like what current employers would want to see."

Would his partner be happy with you showing him the CV you worked on with them as an example of what might look better?

I'll be with them tomorrow for a curry, if something is mentioned I'll tell his partner to ask if they can see his CV.
I know Dan will be gobsmacked if he reads it.

Man of Honour
OP
A miracle has happened.
After his partner uploaded his CV he had around 5 immediate responses, he went to one workplace to look around and accepted the job saying it sounds perfect.
They asked if he knew anybody else he would recommend and they've taken both of them on.
When we got to their house they were both filling their resignation letters in.
Now here's the funny thing, his partner was doing it on the computer properly and my mate was using an A5 piece of paper ripped off the page so all the horrible holes were showing at the top.
He just wrote:

As of September 10th I will be leaving wkr which will be a weeks notice.

Malc Leese

(not his real name)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Brilliant!

Hopefully within the next week or so I'll be able to write my own resignation letter. Only been there 5 months and its not bad but another opportunity came up 3 months in which was just too good not to pursue. Leaves the team I am in down to 3 people - should be 7! Eeek! My line manager had 4 people under him a month ago and soon may only have 2.

Some people deserve it for how they treat people.
We have now heard that the company they're leaving want everyone in tomorrow for another meeting obviously to beg them to stay because so many are leaving because of the shift pattern they are putting on them.
They worked 6am to 2pm every day Mon to Fri but the company insisted that they want 12 hour days 4 days on, 4 days off and some have already left.

Man of Honour
OP
Depends on the lie really. I mean, i would not put down firefighting experience , but might exaggerate a few things here and there.

Also cgrts to your mate OP

Don't 50% of people lie on their CV or something like that?

Yes, they both start next Monday on the new job.

Something I didn't mention (thought I did) was that he had got his Brother In Law two jobs over the last 10 years at the same places he worked at.
His Brother In Law does a small white van driving job taking stuff around and they needed someone else so my mate said give them my name.
The piece of turd (I don't like him) said I'd never recommend anybody for a job :eek: Unbelievable, I hope he never speaks to him again.
I think my mate tried for the job with that CV above.

Back
Top Bottom