My new car (Warning: Uncool 5 door action inside)

Soldato
Well after much deliberating and research over what I can replace the Accord with, I settled on the ST220. It seems to offer everything I need/want in a nice package, namely comfort, decent bit of performance, gadgets, reliability and decent running costs.

So this is the one I bought! It's an 04 plate Machine Silver hatchback with 54,000 miles on the clock, and I paid £6,750. I might have been able to find it for a few hundred cheaper from a private seller half way up the country in six months' time, for example, but this one is really in very good condition, very clean and drives superbly, so I thought sod it. It's from a Ford main dealer and has a full Ford service history, and it appears very well looked after; has four Contisport Contact 3s on. I'm happy to pay a bit extra for peace of mind etc, plus it's a car that doesn't have a set "value" per se it would seem, and the values seem to fluctuate!

In short, I love the noise and grunt of the V6, I love the comfort of the seats and the masses of toys/gadgets and increased refinement over the Honda. I love how it looks, and I love how rare they are :)

I have a couple of questions to fellow owners:

1) Where do you get yours serviced?
2) Which companies do you find are best for insurance?
3) I Will need new front tyres at some point, any reason I shouldn't replace them with the same ones so they're matching?
4) Why do you all complain about the stock audio quality? I tried it with my iPod via the aux in briefly and it sounds good through the Sony 6CD HU in my opinion - nice full sound, not tinny or harsh like many stock audio systems sound, decent sound stage
5) That said.. How easy is it to fit an aftermarket HU? How much room behind is there to shove cables etc? Where do you locate your iPod?
6) I can't get used to this whole climate control lark; should I just set a temperature, leave it on "Auto" and let it do its thing?

Anyway.. Pics!

st220-1.jpg

st220-16.jpg

st220-4.jpg

st220-2.jpg

st220-13.jpg

st220-11.jpg

st220-5.jpg

st220-8.jpg

st220-14.jpg

st220-19.jpg

Last edited:

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Nice, enjoy it :)

Do current Fords still have that silly bonnet release mechanism that requires the key or have they changed it by now?

Soldato
Really really like these but can never get on with the centre console, it just looks untidy to me...if it was all silver framed it would be much neater, but the mix of climate control panel, silver bits, button panels and Sony stereo doesn't look quite right somehow.

Nice car all the same :)

Back
Top Bottom