My New Car

Associate
On the 19"s you probably wont get more than 8-9K out of the tyres. They wear the inside edge down to the cord. Its only one of the 2 brands that do this.
I think its the potenza's. BMW refuse to acknowledge the problem.

Man of Honour
On the 19"s you probably wont get more than 8-9K out of the tyres. They wear the inside edge down to the cord. Its only one of the 2 brands that do this.

First thing I am doing if I get an E92 on 19's is putting them on Ebay and fitting 18's without RFT's. Paying £1.1k for a new set of tyres on a 3 Series is a complete mickytake, even more so if they as you say last only 9k on the back anyway. They are not even great looking wheels, all the available E92 wheels with the exception of those 911 turbo-ish ones are horrid.

I laugh so hard at the idea of a 320d M Sport on 19's. People are buying 2.0 diesels to save a few quid on fuel without realising they are running wheels that cost 4 figures for new tyres!

Drop down to 18's without RFT's and 500ish gets you a full set of premium tyres such as ContiSport Contact3, Eagle F1 Assymetric, etc.

Associate
[TW]Fox;18051717 said:
First thing I am doing if I get an E92 on 19's is putting them on Ebay and fitting 18's without RFT's. Paying £1.1k for a new set of tyres on a 3 Series is a complete mickytake, even more so if they as you say last only 9k on the back anyway. They are not even great looking wheels, all the available E92 wheels with the exception of those 911 turbo-ish ones are horrid.

I laugh so hard at the idea of a 320d M Sport on 19's. People are buying 2.0 diesels to save a few quid on fuel without realising they are running wheels that cost 4 figures for new tyres!

Drop down to 18's without RFT's and 500ish gets you a full set of premium tyres such as ContiSport Contact3, Eagle F1 Assymetric, etc.

They do look awesome though Fox. An E92 on any of the 19"s looks perfect especially the SE 19"s! On all these wheels the tyres can look like there is loads of tread across them apart from if you get under the car and look at the inside edge when it is completely gone. Ive had 2 demo's which I murdered in less than 7k which is crazy!

Soldato
My my isn't Fox in a perky mood in this thread. Wooooah there boy! ;)

Looks lovely and some good pictures too. Was expecting some tbl style photos but thank god they arn't :D

Soldato
Was expecting some tbl style photos but thank god they arn't :D

he's got his own acronym now oh dear :D

Looks brilliant mate, gorgeous car. Same wheels that the 335i courtesy car i had, and same interior practically

TWP_6365.jpg

TWP_6391_desktop.jpg

TWP_6445.jpg

Absolutely great car to drive but agree that the 19 RFTs made the ride bone shaking on rough roads, and might have to cave in and replace them with 18s like Fox said :) Definitely the better exterior colour too for 99.9% of the time when the car isnt perfectly clean, and nearly level even when it is!

Really envious of you, I really miss that e92!

Man of Honour

Was looking at that yesterday and rapidly came to the opinion that a 231bhp E92 330d is a pointless car and that the 245bhp one is considerably better.

The combined consumption on that car does not compare favourably to the 330i, which is 39.2mpg itself, and several thousand pound cheaper.

The 245bhp N57 engine replaced the 1998-2008 M57 in late 2008 and is more economical, more powerful and just... better.

http://bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/bmwauc/details/0,,1156___ask-3,00.html?ch=_V0JBV0U3MjA2MFBZMTUwNzk=

Ignore the fact it has cloth, plenty with leather though they all had auto boxes (ie http://bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/bmwauc/details/0,,1156___ask-3,00.html?ch=_V0JBV0U3MjA4MFBHMTUzODY=) so I picked that one.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Does the 330i actually achieve 39MPG combined though? I don't believe it.

The E60 my parents now have has a combined consumption figure of 36.2mpg. It regularly returns in excess of 40mpg on long trips without driving like a nun.

I would be sceptical of all combined figures these days as manufacturers have got very good at passing the EU tests. However this applies equally to the diesel versions - so whatever the real figures are I suspect the gap between the two cars will remain more or less similar.

Soldato
OP
Hey Burned - how are you getting on with this? What sort of long term MPG are you getting?

Pretty good thanks, loving the car, couldnt be happier with it. Funny you should mention the mpg because I realised I hadnt come back to this thread with any figures the other day (sparked by the 330d/335d thread) so had a play around on my commute on wednesday.

My average overall (regardless) is 40.8mpg, over my commute it will do 42.3mpg average (town with traffic-motorway-town), 35 miles each way). I reset it a couple of times to have a play over my commute and on purely motorway driving (maybe 25 miles), it averaged (obc) 47.8mpg, which was basically at 70mph with the odd +/- 10mph dip or peak here or there, as you do in general driving. Purely sat at 70mph on flat road it claims 49.5mpg, at 80mph (on my private runway or whatever) 47.0mpg and at 60mph 52.3mpg.

I'm not really sure what to make of these figures or how they compare to other cars/engines (or indeed how accurate the obc is), but I'm happy with the figures its returning at least. It's cheaper on fuel than my 106 was! Just horrifying watching it get so dirty in this weather :(

Missed this mate, Looks a lovely car. Long time no speak Chris :)

Glad it meets the seal of approval :) Good to see you around these parts again, you should grab me on facebook :D

Read this was down to the stiffer sidewalls of the RFTs, will probably switch to non-RFTs first chance I get. Although having said that, my sister had a similar problem with her E46, so maybe not?

[TW]Fox;18051717 said:

My problem is, I love the 19s, think they suit the car perfectly. Had an opportunity to buy a car with 18s on, but it was enough to put me off.

My my isn't Fox in a perky mood in this thread. Wooooah there boy! ;)

Looks lovely and some good pictures too. Was expecting some tbl style photos but thank god they arn't :D

You'll have to forgive me, who is tbl and what is his style?

[TW]Fox;18056593 said:
Was looking at that yesterday and rapidly came to the opinion that a 231bhp E92 330d is a pointless car and that the 245bhp one is considerably better.

The combined consumption on that car does not compare favourably to the 330i, which is 39.2mpg itself, and several thousand pound cheaper.

The 245bhp N57 engine replaced the 1998-2008 M57 in late 2008 and is more economical, more powerful and just... better.

Its easy to talk about all this on paper, but doesnt necessarily transfer to whats actually for sale (or in budget). If you're not too picky with the spec/colour then I'm sure you'll find a 330i with no issue. I had a particular spec in mind (grey/red, 19s, nav, bluetooth, pref heated seats) and in 18 months of looking I only found three cars close (one was a nail), the others both diesels (and auto), I bought the third one. As you know, the market is completely saturated with diesel autos and this is the way its going. I do wish you very good luck finding your ultimate spec 330i though, hope it works out :)

Thanks to everyone else for your kind comments, sorry if I missed any replies out :)

Back
Top Bottom