My new Wrong Wheel Drive car

Associate
OP
Main reasons I went for the Toyota over the Subaru: availability and standard spec.

I am fortunate in that a Subaru dealer is only about 5 miles away from me, however when I went in there to enquire the earliest they could get one was March...compared to Toyota who got me one in a fortnight. Wasn't expecting to get it that quickly but March was just mad. (They did have a silver one in the showroom but didn't fancy yet another silver car, plus I thought it looked a bit plain and it was an auto.)

Also they are slightly different in the bog standard spec in that the headunit used by Subaru is absolutely horrid, it's like something out of a 90s Lexus, plus the interior trim in the Toyota, whilst hardly the last word in luxury is loads better than the shiny silver affair in the BRZ.

Soldato
Does look nice. Offset on the wheels look a tad weak though and they look like after market halford fox jobbies. Wheels need to come out a bit further or changed for some better ones.

Caporegime
The more I hear about these the more I wonder why anyone would buy the BRZ over the GT86?

At least for the standard model. I imagine Subaru will whack a turbo on the BRZ soon.

Soldato
Wheels, arch gap and exhaust tips are the only things I don't like. Other than that, well done sir! I seriously considering buying one, and to be honest I still do, but I'm holding out for a higher power version... for now.

Associate
OP
Lovely, did you not have that Megane R26R with the roll cage? How does it compare as the Megane was very track focused?

To be honest the R26R isn't that bad a car to live day to day with as inside it's just like a normal megane, what made the biggest difference was the harnesses, that became a little grating on occasion but still nothing too bad. It was pretty practical too with it's huge space in the back.

Comparing the two is a little hard really, they're a different kettle of fish, the megane was basically designed to attack a circuit or road at a relentless pace and be very friendly with it too, it was very fun and great to drive but you had to go at a fair whack to start getting at the fun factor.

Having only had the Toyota for a week now I can't form too many opinions but seems to be a car that you can enjoy at more normal speeds, which is good for someone like me who has less time these days for trackdays as it means I can enjoy the car more of the time. The megane is certainly more practical though! Can't really add much more yet until I've had more time with it.

Can update my fuel economy though, have just filled up for the first time since picking it up and have averaged 31.2mpg, this was more or less 100 miles of motorway/A roads and the rest 4 mile urban commutes. This proves one of two things, 1) it's pretty good on fuel and 2) I've not been driving it properly enough!

Soldato
Just can't get on with the alloys...really lets the exterior down.

Also is that just a bung stuck in a key slot for keyless start?

Gets a 'meh' from me I am afraid.

Soldato
I saw a silver one today and the owner has already changed the alloys to something more lightweight, smaller. I imagine they're better/easier on track. I agree the car looks odd amongst all the big wheeled cars on the road today. However, if you're buying a car for posing, this isn't it. If you're buying a car for driving, then this has got to be a great bet against other £25k new 'sports' cars out there. Right?

Soldato
I saw a silver one today and the owner has already changed the alloys to something more lightweight, smaller. I imagine they're better/easier on track. I agree the car looks odd amongst all the big wheeled cars on the road today. However, if you're buying a car for posing, this isn't it. If you're buying a car for driving, then this has got to be a great bet against other £25k new 'sports' cars out there. Right?

I wouldn't like to think I was paying £25k for just a drivers car...I would also like to think I could pose in a little bit!

Soldato
I wouldn't like to think I was paying £25k for just a drivers car...I would also like to think I could pose in a little bit!

I can understand that, but which car would you therefore choose? I still think the GT86 isn't bad looking at all. Plenty of scope for aftermarket improvements as well.

I was also recently looking at the new Focus ST as it's comparable in price. Very nice bit of kit, but undeniably plump in comparison. Not really a traditional drivers car like the Toyobaru.

Soldato

I always stare at a GT86 and the driver, I almost feel like going up to them and congratulate them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom