Associate
I have a problem with the following custom built PC:

MSI K8N Neo 2 Plat Motherboard
AMD Athlon 3200+ Winchester
2x1024mb GeiL Value 3200 RAM
Asus AX800XT
Audigy 2
3 HDDs (Seagate) totalling 360GB

It was left on whilst I went out with SWAT4 running (albeit in the menus, not ingame) and when I came back about half an hour later the screen was recieving no input and the HDD LED was permanantly on even though there was no HDD activity. I tried to get it to do something via the usual ways (ctrl+alt+del, and so on) but nothing worked so I powered it off at the wall.

However when I turn it on the PC instantly goes back to the state it was in before, i.e no screen input or anything. No boot up procedure or hard drive activity, just the fans turn on and the HDD LED turns on. I've tried removing the GFX, hsf fans, cleaned everything, put it back together and the same still occurs. I can press and hold down the power button and it will go off, but press it again and it goes back into this borked state. Also turning on the PSU instantly boots the computer for some reason, which i'm sure isnt right.

Any ideas? I need to get it back running ASAP as i'm a student and it has a lot of my work on it (some which is to be handed in next week :() and I also have very little cash so I'm screwed if I need to replace hardware.

Apologies if this is the wrong forum, i'm in a bit of a hurry.

TIA

Associate
OP
Ok so I took the BIOS battery out for a few minutes (I presume it was the bios battery, big round watch battery type thing), popped it back in and it still has the same problem. I'm presuming that also counts out resetting the CMOS as an option aswell?

Now the big question is, how can I figure out whats dead so I can get it changed ASAP? Unfortunately I don't have access to another PC that I can swap parts with so it might be quite difficult :(

Back
Top Bottom