My sons PC turning off randomly - looking for help !

Associate
My sons PC has been turning off at random times for the last couple of weeks. I'm looking to see what troubleshooting we can do.

There is no error message, it just cuts off. This happens only when he is in a game - Dead by Daylight and Armoured Core 6 to name a couple. It doesnt crash to desktop, it completely turns off and restarts. It is happening maybe 2-3 times a week.

Could anyone provide any steps of what we should be looking for / checking to see if we can pinpoint the issue.

The PC is a OcUK Gaming Ballista - Gaming PC For Doom Eternal - AMD Ryzen 5 AMD Radeon RX purchased in 2020.

If you need any further info, please shout.

Thanks in advance

Associate
OP
Turn off XMP/DOCP.

Monitor the temperatures while gaming, to make sure everything looks alright and the fans are still spinning (e.g. with hwinfo).

Check the power cables are all firmly connected and nothing looks loose.
Thanks.

We've checked XMP in the BIOS and it was already disabled.

Power cable was fine, but we made sure it was fully in.

hwinfo has been downloaded. At the moment, max current temp of CPU hit 77.5C (the top line in the screen) in the couple of mins it was running. Average was around 62C. Min was approx 52C

He is going to start logging when he is playing tomorrow to see how it looks if it crashes.

Associate
OP
I would be looking at the PSU.

It is a budget PSU with only a 3 year warranty and you have had it ~ 4 years.

Also you would be best enabeling XMP as your RAM will be running at 2133mhz not 3000mhz and ryzen likes fast RAM.
Thanks, I don't think my son has been into the BOIs before, so the XMP has been disabled since getting the PC.

But we can give it a try.

Associate
OP
Could be your PSU is overheating and shutting off. Check airflow to it, and make sure the PC is clean of dust. More info:

If a PC power supply (PSU) gets too hot, it can shut off to prevent damage. Overheating can be caused by several factors, such as:
To prevent this, ensure your PSU is adequately powered, clean the inside of your computer regularly, and check that all fans are functioning properly
Cheers, I'll check his PC for dust etc.

Would the hwinfo program monitor the PSU fan speeds, so we could see if they are normal?

And just out of curiosity, how easy is it to replace a PSU for someone that doesn't dabble inside a PC?

Associate
OP
An update - on the Dead by Daylight menus, the CPU temp is hitting 90.

I'll get on giving the PC a clean.

Is compressed air still the recommended cleaning product?

Associate
OP
Not normally.

It depends on how much room you have inside the case and where the PSU is located.

If the case is small and the PSU is inconveniently located, you might have to remove nearly everything which is almost like building a new PC.

If the PSU is conveniently located and the case is roomy, then it can be relatively simple and maybe just the graphics card has to come out.
It seems quite spacious, but I'll need to have a look how to get into the PSU as it looks like it's under some kind of shelf/base unit (if that makes sense?)

Back
Top Bottom